Ubuntu 10.10 - Intel IWLAGN driver / compat-wireless

Discussion in 'macOS' started by evo_syndicate, Apr 15, 2011.

1. evo_syndicate

evo_syndicate MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2011
    #1 evo_syndicate, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Heya everyone ! I was working on getting my new wireless card to work on my ubuntu 10.10 install..I confirmed the card worked with windows and etc but Linux is giving me a hard time..

Some info..(HP Laptop with wireless controlled by a on/off switch)

Code:
    lspci | grep Network
    08:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6200 (rev 35)
    With research I found I need IWLAGN driver.
    I went over to wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download and did the ubuntu backport install option...
    I checked if the module loaded..

Code:
    lsmod | grep iwlagn
    iwlagn                215351  0 
    iwlcore               139688  1 iwlagn
    mac80211              269644  2 iwlagn,iwlcore
    cfg80211              167809  3 iwlagn,iwlcore,mac80211
    but I still get no wireless..I'm a newb but not afraid to get my hands dirty so any hint to the right direction would help especially in letting me know if I used compsta right because I don't know what git is outside the fact that it downloads sources code..

Any help would be really...helpful. Thanks. Cheers!

2. evo_syndicate

evo_syndicate MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2011
    Heya, I tried that link. no luck yet...I'm grabbing some books and doing some more research to see if I can get this sorted...I think it might have something to do with firmware...do you think if my device was added via modification to a bio due to a whitelist it would cause an issue? I wouldn't think so cuz i had it on Window$ but I just thought i would throw that out there.

3. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #4 zahnoo, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I solved my problem by doing two things: using an internal card that was listed on the compatability site and turning SSID broadcast to "On". I never got a USB adapter of any make or model to work no matter what I did. With Windows XP and 7 I never failed to connect the first time. I've tried every release of Ubuntu since #6, but the wireless thing just settled it for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. evo_syndicate

evo_syndicate MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2011
    Heya mate, my card is an internal card. And from my initial research the card is supposed to be supported. I'm not very proficient in Linux but I can get around and wireless and sound have always been the 2 biggest hurdles in Linux for me...

5. evo_syndicate

evo_syndicate MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2011
    Oi Oi, so I have made some head way on the issue and think I have a clearer run down of what's going on...So to Re-Cap
    I have this card : newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106061 ..which is listed as supported by ubuntu.
    The card is in a HP dv2615nr which was whitelisted but thanks to @TTAV134 I was able to get the card on.
    The laptop has a hard-lock wireless switch that toggles it on and off.
    So after working around..the needed module is loaded iwlagn and the most recent firmware is in /etc/firmware ..
    I looked around and got RFKILL.. I ran sudo rfkill unlock all and even though it didn't seem to work after I restarted it indeed did unlock all the blocks..
    So I proceeded to go into the network connections manager and added a wireless entry (although I'm a bit worried as to why it doesn't populate the networks available)..
    From that point things got screwy.. Everytime I tried to either release a dhcp or i tried to do iwconfig up it would crash my laptop..
    I putted into recovery and got something about "intel could not load INST ucode -110"...I hope this clarifies things a bit..Anyone got any ideas?
    Thanks !

6. oblio

oblio MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2010
    #7 oblio, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
    You need to have firmware-iwlwifi (that's the debian package name; not sure how it is called in ubuntu) installed as well if you use the iwlagn driver :
    Check your repositories. if not available there you can get the microcode from intellinuxwireless.org/?n=Downloads
    Success!

7. bcklychrs

bcklychrs MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2011
    hp

name@Ubuntu:~$ lspci | grep Network
    02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1000

name@Ubuntu:~$ rfkill list
    0: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: no
    Hard blocked: no
    1: phy0: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: no
    Hard blocked: no

I have 3 wireless routers names being:
    dlink01001010010101001010
    dlink
    linksys

they are all open ant the only one that i can connect to for some reason is dlink01001010010101001010 for a while i could connect to linksys but was taking me a few tries