Ubuntu 15.10 makes loud speaker pop on boot

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Teddy, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Teddy

Teddy Guest

#1 Teddy, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2016
    Just like the title say, when Ubuntu 15.10 boots up (even in liveusb) it makes a loud speaker pop. I read online about this and they said there was a fix by doing something to an alsa folder or file (not sure) but a lot of people said that didn't work. Others reported it was a kernel issue, and upgrading the kernel worked. If it is the kernel, what is the best way to upgrade the kernel (all steps please), because the last time I did it (the built in way with mint), the Xorg display wouldn't boot.

2. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Google: Ubuntu kernel install

3. Teddy

Teddy Guest

Yeah upgrading the the newest stable 4.3.3 did nothing to stop the loud speaker pop, I would like to use a Linux distro but would like the new kernel as I have newer hardware. But can't get it to work.

4. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Having similar issues since updating Mint to 17.3 - but my popping is during any audio playback. Tried a couple of different kernels but no luck. I'm wondering if its a speaker issue (cant see how, worked perfectly in 17.2) but considering their Bowers & Wilkins speakers and they don't supply firmware and driver updates for Linux, I don't know what to do ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Teddy

Teddy Guest

Anyone found a fix?

6. Teddy

Teddy Guest

I would really like to use a linux distro from time to time but the new kernels make that noise......seriously no one has a fix????? How are people supposed to use linux without their speakers popping at boot???

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    In Windows 7, my speakers "pop" when the computer starts up. (More like Thump...Tha Thump..Thump) It has something to do with the sound card coming up switched on at power up and not being properly initialized. And that's the BIOS (I think)

I just turn my speakers off until the OS boots.

Is your problem similar to mine?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Teddy

Teddy Guest

Kind of, but it sounds like a loud pop like speakers being very loud on boot, but I can not shut them off because they're built in.

9. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    Have you tried down grading the kernel? Try a version from a distro that doesn't pop in your machine. Mint 17.3 (that has Ubuntu 14.04 under the hood) uses Kernel 3.19.0-32.

10. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    #10 SOCRATE_MMXII, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  11. Teddy

Teddy Guest

3.19 works fine, however sometimes on boot with the open source drivers, I am forced to restart because the screen goes from white to red to green and then stays black. When I use proprietary drivers, the loading thing (hourglass on windows) doesn't spin smoothly like with open source drivers.

12. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
  13. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Please let us know whether or not this fixes your problem. If this does not work, please tell us a little bit more about your hardware.

14. Teddy

Teddy Guest

I certainly will do that. :)

15. bergy37

bergy37 MDL Member

Dec 23, 2015
    Pretty name Michaela and retired. Lucky you.

16. russ0408

russ0408 MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2015
    I'm running Linux Mint 17.3. it makes the pop noise to when I wake it up from hibernation.

17. Enzo Matrix

Enzo Matrix Guest

Mine still pops with the newest kernel as well, tried Ubuntu 16.04 (nice distro, a few bugs, but that is to be expected). I tried muting my sound then restarting, it has no affect on the sound (I have speakers built in, so there is no physical knob to turn it down). Will this eventually cause problems with my speakers? Because I really don't want to blow my speakers just to boot linux.

18. SSE2

SSE2 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2016
    Is your speaker built-in or the sound card built-in? Is your speaker have the power button? My speaker does not pop when I run Windows XP.

19. Enzo Matrix

Enzo Matrix Guest

Windows is fine for me, just Linux with a kernel of above 4 it pops on boot. My PC is an all in one so everything is built in.