Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Now Lets Users Move the Unity Launcher to Bottom

Discussion in 'Linux' started by CHEF-KOCH, Mar 21, 2016.

1. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    #1 CHEF-KOCH, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Unity should let the users decide where they they want to put the Launcher: left, right, top or bottom.
    It's very weird that it doesn't have that option in 21st century (just left and bottom of the screen positions). Probably it be implemented in the centuries to come: 22nd century - Unity Launcher top; 23rd century - Unity Launcher right. :laie:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    All is a matter of view, some say it's pointless to change because e.g. they working with shortcuts, some say it's necessary to get the ability and other say it's waste of resource because we have other problems. Sometimes things get's also a little bit over-hyped, compared to Windows which almost get's hyped at each new insider-build even only 2 or 3 'changes' was made.

But I can fully understand what people saying, it was/is a 'must' more or less and the Ubuntu tweak tool (as mentioned in my added video) get's also soon support for it.

I hope you like it, I like this change it's not really an 'important' one but I bumped because I saw a lot of people asking me and others for this little future.

4. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    It took, what eight years to respond to users' complaints about Unity? I've never liked the look of the launcher, and it still doesn't look right to me. It seems like an oversized taskbar now. I'll stick with Mint.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    What's the big deal here?
    Hide the unity launcher, install and run Cairo Dock at start-up, and you have a much nicer task bar on the bottom of your screen. I have been doing this for years, almost forgot the existence of Unity launcher.:biggrin:

6. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    The "big deal" is the lack of choice. IMHO, Unity is crap, but still, one should have a choice where to put the launcher once one wants to use Unity. It's all about choice...