Ubuntu 18 & mint Sarah 18 openvpn issues... Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by kaos420, Jul 28, 2016.

1. kaos420

kaos420 MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #1 kaos420, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Hello so i am starting to get back into Linux again. Recently I've installed both Ubuntu 18 and mint Sarah 18.both Clean install...i followed my Vpn guide for purevpn what I use. I can connect to my Vpn and I show connected. But when I scan my ip it's still my unhidden ip not Vpn. I have checked use this connection when available... For the Vpn. Even tried dedicated dns server addresses. Still connect but ip remains unchanged. Tried at root level as well. Running outta ideas. Before I get comfortable I wanna make sure I'm hidden. So any help be appreciated

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    I don't know how works in linux.

But in Windows... when you connect to a VPN, you get 2 networks. Then you must choose on the browser what network to use. By default, I believe that Windows will try to navegate on web through the two, but one will be the prefered.

I believe now you must set the browser or others apps to only use the VPN network, not the local.

cheers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kaos420

Jul 30, 2009
    i did in settings. says im connected right now. ip still shows. so how exactly do i select ip per app? on windows it does all connections.

5. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    #6 ofernandofilo, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    For over six years I worked exclusively with Windows PPTP VPN and after I left the company, never else I used this feature.

If I remember correctly, the machines on the local network lacked DNS. Once Windows was booted it dialed to an IP Fixed central server. Yes, I was responsible for the setup and maintenance ... but It have much time I do not remember most of the details.

When you connect the VPN, I believe a ipconfig /all would list the two networks. I believe it was so. But as the machines were only registered DNS servers on the VPN connection, it was chosen as the standard for internet access. This configuration was also accessed through Control Panel> Internet Options> Connections> Settings> Proxy Server.

The VPN possessed a remote proxy SquidNT running on Windows 2003. It still controlled the connection to access the Internet ...

If you are working with fixed IP VPN connection, try not to use DNS at your local connection. It is very likely that Linux will automatically choose the VPN to Internet access.

If it does not work out ... the only command that I know Linux is ifconfig. I know he can give you a few tips on how are your network settings. I use linux for many years, but quite as user in home networks complete simple... I really don't want to learn anything about Linux from now on. I only use Linux on scenarios that it works out-of-box. When I need to learn something ... I learn only the Windows way... but as you see, my memory is not very good. I worked for 2 years in this company ... and I was the only responsible for more than 13 units, more than 80 computers distributed by my state ... it's amazing, I'm sure if you need to build this new network, in a week I can do it on Windows, but in two months I will forget it again: s

TL; DR: If the VPN server is using a fixed IP and known to you ... try to remove the DNS servers of your local connection, assuming so Linux will automatically search as route to the Internet trought the VPN connection. If you do not know the IP, I have nothing else to recommend. Just go back to using DNS servers on the local connection.

cheers

6. kaos420

Jul 30, 2009
    ill try this tonight. i already have windows 10 setup on another drive. my nas network and vpn fully working. but being windows is my mains o.s i want to setup linux on a separate drive. i have a hot swap bay. so i literally plug it in reboot choose the boot option for that particular drive. and when finished a reboot auto goes back into windows. i have been on a privacy kick. figured all my questionable software and programs iuse for pc repairs. would be shifted to my linux drive. so when out its completely unknown to exist. why im doing it. i may roll back to like ubuntu 16 and see if it works. i did through vpn set dns as well. same results. but i will say have tried sstp pptp and openvpn setup all say they connect but dont change ip.

7. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    #8 ofernandofilo, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017