Uefi- best setup

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Tanvir786123, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Tanvir786123

Tanvir786123 MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2014
    Should I keep csm enabled or disabled will secure boot slow down boot times ps I want to know which settings would be best for my uefi bios?

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Neither are important to change.
    CSM will only work if you install Windows from a non-fat32 ufd or non-uefi dvd.
    You will know if you are installing correctly by the boot device you choose. It will say something like:
    UEFI: DVD-MAXWELL-8782 (or something. The UEFI: part is the important part)

As long as you installed using the UEFI: version, the CSM will be irrelevant. It won't use it.

Back when Win8 came out it would nag about secureboot not being enabled in a watermark.
    Now it doesn't do that. They've since patched it so it doesn't nag.
    As far as a speed difference, there probably is one, but it's most likely a very tiny fraction of boot time.
    With a ssd, it might be the difference between 7 seconds and 7.01 seconds or something.
    That is just speculation, I haven't actually tested it. I'm just commenting on how I haven't noticed a difference.

3. Tanvir786123

Tanvir786123 MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2014
    Thanks for that by the way last thing should I enable or disable secure boot?

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The CSM Compatibility Support Module is just an additional module that makes it possible to boot from devices which have a MBR master boot record. The MBR is used on previous systems.
    To have it enabled it adds support for legacy use. It does not slow down because it is only used when needed.
    Secure boot is an additional feature which is used when enabled at any boot additionally. It theoretically slows down boot process, but as murphy said it is all about milliseconds if at all.

You can enable it on windows 8. To have most of compatibility I would disable it, though. Especially when installing other OSes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Tanvir786123

Tanvir786123 MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2014
    Thank you