Uefi bios

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by boscru6469, Nov 11, 2013.

1. boscru6469

boscru6469 MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Is there anyway an ASUS board with a UEFI BIOS can be modded to activate Windows 7 or must I use an activator?

2. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    I have the Asus Sabertooth Z77, it's about one yer old now. As soon as I bought it I modded the BIOS myself.

With the files slightly modded on my Windows 7 USB3 install disc UEFI runs sweet.

Dont really know what the drifferance is but it does run smooth.

Hope this bit of info helps

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  4. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    #6 tnx, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    There is always a certain degree of risk with flashing a BIOS but the newer boards makes the risks a whole lot less.

What I did was to save the BIOS which was pre-installed, I modded that then re-flashed the modded one back using the Asus Ezay Flash Tool from within the BIOS tools. This worked a treat and it would not flash if it knew the BIOS file was corrupt in anyway. Less risk of bricking the board.

What Asus board do you have. My Sabertooth is not the only Asus UEFI board I have done, no problem with any.

Just to add, I have not added Windows XP SLP info just SLIC 2.1 for Windows 7.

P,S I used the DYNAMIC method, did not want to add SLIC perminatly.

5. boscru6469

Jan 9, 2012
    #7 boscru6469, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    (OP)
    The board is on a friends computer. I will find out what board it is and get back to you. He is not interested in XP just W7 Pro or higher. I think that it should also be a permanent mod. Why would I want it to be dynamic?

6. boscru6469

Jan 9, 2012
  7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  8. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    That looks a nice board,

If you fancy, later I will download the latest BIOS file for that board and run it through the mod tool adding Asus SLIC 2.1 info.
    I will see if the process goes well and tell you the result.

What I would if it were mine is once the BIOS hods SLIC 2.1 I would do a whole fresh install of the choice of W7. Format the drive into GPT, make a UEFI usb install stick with the corresponding OEM info,or using DISM integrate the CERT and key directly.

Going down the mod route will help for future hard drive upgrades.

Have you flashed many boards ? The Z87 should be nice and easy.

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @tnx

You can't flash back the modded bios if you use default Dynamic method. You have to mod it using New Module method or using MMTool.

10. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008

Nice bit of info there. Thanks very much.

Can I ask why this would be. The last Asus board I did was my Z77, I am pretty sure I used the Dynamic method. I know I saved the pre-installed BIOS and modded that, is this why.

Used the Asus Ezay Flash Tool within the BIOS tools.

11. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    To add. Seeing it has been a little while modding my last BIOS I will make sure I read through the guides and download the latest versions.

Even just for my own benefit.

12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Asus has implemented secure bios flashing feature in latest Haswell mobos & some older Ivy Bridge mobos. Thats why you can only flash modded bios through EZ-Flash or Asus's flasher only if it contains valid signature.

13. osmoTR

osmoTR MDL Novice

May 3, 2009
    Hello,

if I use NewModule method or using MMTool to mod my bios ezflash or bupdater will pass and can be flashed
    but if I patch other module it can't flash "security verification error"

How phoenixtool and mmtool can handle secure flash signature
    can be used to patch other modules

14. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @osmoTR

New Module method is basically same as modding using MMTool. The interesting part is the signing key which is present in KEY\OA.TXT of Phoenix Tool folder. It is derived from a leaked package of MMTool. I'm not sure how it can be useful for inserting other patched modules.

:g:

15. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    #18 tnx, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    @Tito

I have just been messing about using the latest BIOS file for my Asus Z77 board, using the Phoenix Tool v2.19.
    It asked for a "key File", now I can not remember inputting this before.

Can I ask, what KEY is it, by looking, it's not the KEY I first imagined it to be, i.e Windows 7 key. ( Don't know whay I thought that )

On the BIOS file I tested the process worked fine using "New Module"

Did NOT use a RW Everthing file... Just downloaded that now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just tested once again, New Module and added my saved RW Everything file.....Worked a treat.

I may well have to test this out and flash my mobo with the very latest Asus BIOS, adding SLIC 2.1. I know my BIOS is old but I went by "If it aint broke,don't mend it"

16. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    RW report is completely optional for UEFI modding. You can safely ignore it.

For answers about the 'key', read the post just above yours.

:D

17. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... I read that, reading it again it makes sense, this is what's going to sign the modded BIOS and fool the board into thinking this is a genuine BIOS file.

Or, does it actually mean by adding this leaked KEY the modded BIOS file is actually a proper genuine file but with extra info, the SLIC 2.1 info.....

Tito...Thanks for this info and help.....:)