uefi gpt dual boot question

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by intel_outside, Sep 12, 2013.

1. intel_outside

intel_outside MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2013
    Hey guys! I want to dual boot Win 8 and 7 on a uefi enabled gpt disk. Now I have Win 8 installed on physical disk. What I want now is to install Win 7 on a vhd and dual boot. Now i read somewhere that vhd does not support uefi installation yet. 1. Is it true? 2. If yes then is it possible to boot win 7 using normal bios method while win 8 uses uefi? 3. If not then whether installing win 7 using uefi on physical disk would help? Thanks in advance.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. intel_outside

intel_outside MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2013
    @ Tito I've already tried that but to no avail. I did get to the boot menu but whenever I select Win 7 the computer restarts and after a blank screen for few seconds again restarts and back to boot menu. The Win 8 part loaded just fine. In the past I've successfully managed to dual boot Win 8 & 7 but on an mbr disk and without uefi, both OS'es being installed on vhds. But what I want to know whether it is possible to dual boot 8 & 7 on uefi-gpt disk and on top of it if Win 7 could be installed on a vhd for dual boot alongside Win 8 that would rather be icing on the cake. Thanks in advance. And Sorry for all plain text replies as I've disabled all flash and images in my browser to preserve bandwidth. I'm really on a tight bandwidth plan. Sorry again...

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    win7 x64 can do efi .. but u need to do install from fat32 usb and u need the bootx64.efi

sardu or YUMI can make usb fat32 bootable