UEFI & GPT & Rufus advices please - can't install OS

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mydogmuppet, Jun 15, 2015.

1. mydogmuppet

mydogmuppet MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2015
    I have four boot images for W7. 2x OEM Pro; 2x Retail Pro. One each on DVD, one each on USB boot stick. 2x CoA. Keys checked with pidgen.exe - there are valid. All copies of W7, DVD & USB, install fine up to ' Accept Licence Terms ' page. At this point the Keyboard & Mouse, previously working, just freeze. I cannot progress the install.

I do not have a firm grasp of how UEFI differs from Bios. I can't see the benefits of GPT over MBR. Do I need to resort to diskpart to format sections of install media or target SSD as part MBR and part GPT ?

My build is a new Z97 Asrock Extreme 6 with latest UEFI at P2.30. The build has new HW - 2 x Samsung SSD, 1x HDD, 1x Opt. 16Gb and currently onboard graphics.

I have used Rufus 2.2 to create bootable USB drives but due to conflicting advice on forums have no idea whether I'm doing this right. There is no Legacy Bios setting in UEFI P2.30 only a Compatibility Mode - CSM.

Following different threads I have tried inserting two modified files into the W7 'sources' folder; I'm not sure these actions made any difference.
    PID.txt - this file has the Product Key of the respective image.
    ei.cfg - this file records the version to report to install process. Upon reflection - I'm not sure i should not have used the ei.cfg removal tool so i could choose a version at install time.

I would appreciate advice from anyone who has trodden this path before or has an insight into my stupidity. Having then installed the OS...I can then worry about activation.

2. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mydogmuppet

mydogmuppet MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2015
    #3 mydogmuppet, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    (OP)
    Hello John Sutherland......

ASrock UEFI P2.30 is only UEFI, no Bios anywhere. CSM disabled; no Secure Boot.

After following your ' eightforums ' link above to the letter ( Manual not Rufus) I get the following Windows error screen when I try to boot from the UEFI USB drive. This was copying files from the DVD. Looks like it's looking for the boot folder I was asked to move ? See thumbnail.

File \efi\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

Error Code 0xc000000f

[Ubuntu 14.04, not renowned for interoperability and driver friendliness, took less than 5 minutes to install - so the build - hardware & UEFI - works ( i think) ]

Attached Files:

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #4 urie, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    Try Rufus again and also disable Fast Boot, CSM and I also noticed in manual disable BIOS support for security device. Also windows 7 does not support PID.txt file.

5. John Sutherland

Oct 15, 2014
    #5 John Sutherland, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    Hello mydogmuppet - OK, I have a suspicion of what's going on, but I'll give you a list of things to check:

1.) You must use a 64 bit version of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, since 32 bit versions do not support UEFI boot.

2.) When you use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive, there are three items that are vital to success.
    a.) Pick the third and last choice "GPT Partition Scheme for UEFI Computer" from the second dropdown box.
    b.) Make sure to select "FAT32" as the File System and "Default" as the Cluster Size. *See Note Below
    c.) Make sure to select "ISO Image" for "Create bootable disk using - ".

3.) In your machines BIOS settings, check the following:
    a.) UEFI Boot Mode is set to enabled.
    b.) Legacy/CSM Mode is set to disabled.
    c.)
    Secure Boot is set to disabled.

4.) After you boot from your DVD or USB flash drive, select the language and keyboard type on the first screen, then click "Next" to proceed. On the second screen, go to the lower left corner and select "Repair your Computer". On the next screen, you should see "Use recovery tools . . ." has already been selected, click "Next" to proceed. On the Recovery Options screen, select "Command Prompt". Then enter the following commands in the terminal:

a.) diskpart < enter diskpart command
    b.) list disk < lists all disks on system
    c.) sel disk 0 < select the disk to work on; if you have more than one disk, be sure to select the correct one from "list disk" above
    d.) clean < remove all partition structures and volume information
    e.) convert gpt <write a new gpt partition table to disk
    f.) exit < exit the diskpart command
    g.) exit < exit Command Prompt

Now click "Reboot" to reboot the system and begin installation. Good luck.

EDIT: My suspicion is related to #4 above. If the partition table on the disk is not GPT, that would be one reason for seeing the error message you've described. Systems using UEFI boot, especially where Windows is concerned, need to be installed on a GPT disk.

*NOTE: See the posts following this one. I will test this tonight on my own machine in order to verify if using FAT32 or NTFS is the correct choice for item #2b.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. John Sutherland

Oct 15, 2014
    Thank you for pointing that out Mr.X, I wasn't aware of that. I'll edit my post and change that item.

7. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    No problem.

8. mydogmuppet

mydogmuppet MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2015
    #11 mydogmuppet, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    (OP)
    Dear John Sutherland

Thank you & I'd love to be able to tell you I'd progressed. Alas, not so.
    All my Windows media are x64.
    I've followed your Rufus 2.2 set up. FAT32 & NTFS. for the USB stick nothwithstanding that adding the .iso image alters the settings.

I'm ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 - P2.30 firmware
    It's all UEFI not a sniff of Bios.
    CSM is disabled.
    Not sure I can locate a Secure Boot anywhere.

DVD Media grind to a halt on 'Starting Windows screen'.
    ISO's on the USB drive give the attached identical error screens. I'd love to get at diskpart. Error 0xc000000d

I was wondering if my install of Ubuntu (& by default) Grub 2 were playing havoc with the target drive. But I've never got that far.

I was busy hunting for a FreeDos that was EFI compliant so I could reformat the SSD with Ubuntu 14.04 installed to create a clean GPT. Not sure the world has yet figured out how to get DOS to load up in a UEFI world.

One day this will all become clear to me.

Attached Files:

9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    enable CSM and see if you get the UEFI DVD option for booting

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    From eight forums for Rufus.
    Read the manual for the motherboard

11. mydogmuppet

mydogmuppet MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2015
    In best tech fashion software guide and mb guide from ASRock are next to useless.
    CSM is disabled. Firmware is only UEFI not a hybrid, so no Bios adjustments.
    Fast Boot & Ultra Fast Boot disabled.
    Have not seen a Secure Boot setting.

I know what s/be happening - at a loss to understand why its not.
    Cannot even find out how to make a UEFI USB stick bootable with basic DOS utilities.

Sigh.

12. mydogmuppet

mydogmuppet MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2015
    Well this gets me back to where i came in. So no Windows error message.
    As before, enabling CSM reveals all drives plus UEFI DVDROM as you correctly suggest.
    Booting from DVD gets me just as far as 'Accept Licence Terms ' screen and mouse & keyboard, previously working, cease to function. Install hangs.

Shall I ask ASRock for an earlier firmware ...before Z97 Extreme 67 version P2.30 ?

Grasping at straws here.

13. mydogmuppet

mydogmuppet MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2015
    This is what ASrock have to say....which I'll try later. Work beckons.

Hello,

Sorry, I haven’t heard of this issue before.

Please try default BIOS setting (load via F9 in BIOS) if you have not done so yet.

You can also try:
    BIOS > Advanced > USB Configuration > Legacy USB Support > UEFI Setup Only
    or
    BIOS > Advanced > USB Configuration > USB Compatibility Patch > Enabled

Even though an Ubuntu installation went fine, you could still try using half the memory first and test the other half later. If the CPU cooler is not in the way then it shouldn’t be too much work.

There are different USB controllers on this motherboard. Please see the attached image. Besides trying USB2.0 ports you can also try these different USB3.0 ports. Please try moving mouse/keyboard to another USB port when the devices become unresponsive.

Thanks,
    ASRock Support

14. Jofra

Jofra MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2015
    I am trying to install (as many are) win 7 iso using rufus 2.2 . I have downloaded the files, gone to "Rufus 2.2' AND OPENED IT. iT THEM DOWNLOADS THE FORM WITH PARAMETERS : DEVICE, partition scheme, file system. etc.
    Those fields are blank. and I cannot type id , or copy and paste anything into them. Therefore I'm stuck. What the heck am I doing wrong?? Please help/

15. Jofra

Jofra MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2015
    Jofra. again. Could it be that this action is taking place on an XP computer? S( I;m trying to install the win 7 here.) I have another with 7 installed, Is this inability to finish forms due to XP?

16. mydogmuppet

mydogmuppet MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2015
    More from ASRock in Netherlands to digest....

" Hello,

Thanks for the link. After reading through the post, I would like to add…

When using default UEFI settings, an OS will normally be installed in legacy mode. There are 2 ways to install an OS in UEFI mode.
    Method 1. Please insert the OS installation DVD or USB flash drive. Restart the system. During bootup please press F11 repeatedly to open the boot menu. The drive with the installation files should be listed twice now. Once as ACHI/SATA/RAID/USB and once as UEFI. Please select the entry that says UEFI. Then the OS will be installed in UEFI mode.
    For a demonstration I have inserted both a DVD and a USB flash drive with Windows 8.1 x64 installation files. Please see the attached image.
    Method 2. Please set:
    UEFI > Boot > CSM (Compatibility Support Module) > CSM > Disabled
    (On some older models this option can be find in UEFI > Advanced > ACPI Configuration > CSM)
    Save the settings via F10.
    Please insert the installation medium. Restart the system. Now the system will automatically boot in UEFI mode and the OS will be installed in UEFI mode.

Secure Boot can be found in UEFI > Security > Secure Boot
    It is disabled by default.

Thanks,
    ASRock Support "

17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You need to plug in USB device first :biggrin: