Uefi "press any key to boot from cd or dvd does nothing"

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Hunk_4TH, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Hunk_4TH

Hunk_4TH MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Like the title says my keyboard seems to go dead after I get this prompt. But when I select the normal DVD rom (not the Uefi) it functions as normal. Legacy USB etc is in enabled. I've tried both PS/2 keyboard and USB (which includes different ones) Any ideas?

2. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Most boot CD/DVD are configured only for legacy (MBR). You can find instructions on how configure them to support UEFI. (Generally, you get a program like PowerISO/UltraISO and extract the DVD contents to a folder. Then you edit (or copy) a file or two needed for UEFI and finally burn the modified contents to a new DVD).

3. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    A trick i can offer thats thinking outside the box is to bypass the prompt authoring a new iso. When making an efi\mbr dual boot iso you run the command pointing to \efi\microsoft\boot\efisys.bin. Use efisys_noprompt.bin instead. You will have to eject the cd after first reboot though or it will reboot the cd. Id give the command to author the dvd but honestly, i'm straight up to lazy.

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Try plugging the keyboard / mouse into USB 2.0 ports if you have them in USB 3.0 - I had a similar issue with my CHvF

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I don't know if it's related, or even what your iso source is, but you could possibly remove the Secure Boot option in your bios.
    Other than that, all I can think of is that if you use a modified ISO, it won't have the UEFI boot data.
    However, if you use a msdn original iso or one that specifically added the UEFI boot data, it should work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Computer Fixer

Computer Fixer MDL Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Try turning off Secure Boot in BIOS...

BTW- what are you actually trying to do ?

7. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    "press any key to boot from cd or dvd" will launch setup.exe to install in MBR mode, of course you won't get any response if mobo is set to UEFI mode. :D

8. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #8 HALIKUS, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    setup.exe has absolutely nothing to do with booting. Nada. Zilch. It's only purpose is to start the setup installation files once booted to a suitable environment.

With MBR bootmgr boots (i think) the bcd wich in turn can load boot.sdi and a wim. The "press a key" is initiated if bootfix.bin is present. If you remove bootfix.bin, you get no "press a key message".

With efi, bootmgr.efi boots (in this example DVD, USB is different) efi\microsoft\boot\efisys.bin. Inside that bin is simply an efi bootx64.efi file, that will load the bcd and then a wim. If you substitute efisys_noprompt.bin for efisys.bin when authoring the dvd it does the same as removing bootfix.bin. In the case of using a USB, you would put the file from within the bin to efi\boot.

Code:
    %oscdimg% -lWINefi -u1 -h -m -k -oc -e -bootdata:2#p0,e,b.\boot\etfsboot.com#pEF,e,b.\efi\microsoft\boot\efisys_noprompt.bin .\ %systemdrive%\WindowsEFI.iso

that command will make it an mbr or efi bootable dvd. It will have no "press a key" message in efi, solving your dilemma. I have no idea if your mouse and keyboard will work after it boots, but your chances are improved.

9. Hunk_4TH

Hunk_4TH MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Sorry for the late reply. I Google for that eif_noprompt bin with no luck. Unless I'm supposed to rename the efi.bin to that?

Either way what I ended up doing is copying the disc files to my USB stick and installed it that way with no prompt (didn't change anything)

According to my installation I'm in efi mode though my oem logo (Asus) doesn't show up doing booting. Instead the Win8 boot screen shows.

I never though of that. Though it makes sense.

@Computer Fixer, I was just trying to do a clean install since I accidentally installed 8.1 in MBR mode and not efi.

Is there any other quick way to check if I am truly running efi mode? I have the efi partition too according to disk manager. Just now got everything setup. So I don't want to re install for a long time lol Thanks guys!

10. Hunk_4TH

Hunk_4TH MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Thanks! Looks like I'm running in efi. Thoug hI still don't understand why my boot logo didn't change but that's ok :)

11. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    #13 FaiKee, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  12. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    lol, it's all good everyone. I'm self taught and help friends with PC woes as i'm the resident nerd. As someone who travels arrogantly around with a single 64 gig USB expecting to magically fix everyones problems EFI was a shock and huge pain in the ass. Once you learn to tame EFIs strange it's not THAT bad to configure and actually works pretty good in the long run. I just get frustrated when MS makes things tougher for the sys Admins. I have seen lots of people running around in circles scratching their heads when it comes to EFI, me included.

MokManager.efi is your friend.