UEFI, secure boot etc.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by SegaGenesis, Jun 20, 2015.

1. SegaGenesis

SegaGenesis MDL Junior Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Hi,

my friend ordered a new computer but it came without an OS.

He wants to install Windows 8.1 with Microsoft Toolkit activation.

How can he pass the UEFI secure boot check and whatnot?

Is the computer going to work with the exact same speed/performance if switched to the compatible mode and secure boot disabled?

I know it's a stupid question but bear with me please.

Thank you!

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    For MTK there's no limitation. It will work on UEFI even with secure Boot enabled.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SegaGenesis

Sep 8, 2014
    So nothing has to be changed from the defaults in BIOS (UEFI)?

He has a SSD and a HDD, should they be formatted as GPT or MBR drives? Is both OK? Is there any performance difference?

4. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    As he likes. UEFI will boot marginally faster and the GPT layout supports HDDs >2TB natively.

MTK will work regardless.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. SegaGenesis

Sep 8, 2014
    So the speed/performance will be the same if he enables or disables the secure boot and/or compatibility mode? Are there any real benefits from the secure boot?

And how can he pass the secure boot if he wants it enabled, with a general fake key and later activation with MTK?

Both his drives are smaller than 2 TB. So should he format them into GPT anyway?

Will GPT drives work in case he decises to run UEFI/BIOS in legacy/compatibility mode (disabled secure boot) too?

6. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    #1. Only boot speed is marginally faster for UEFI over BIOS. No impact on System Performance.

#2. Secure boot, as the name implies, is a security feature that only allows to boot signed systems.

#3. Doesnt affect KMS activation at all, equally what is chosen.

#4. No need to format as GPT for those drives.

#5. In Legacy/CSM Mode the boot drive must be formatted as MBR, else Windows setup will error, iirc data partitions can be GPT.

7. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Hey doggie!
    Partitions must be MBR no GPT in CSM mode.

The only real advantage I see using UEFI is boot speed. As for security, hmmm it has been bypassed already. Sorry don't asked for PoC, don't have one.

8. SegaGenesis

Sep 8, 2014
    Thank you both!

I think boot speed will be fast because of the SSD. UEFI would only make it a little bit more fast, right?

So if he formats both drives (SSD and HDD) to MBR the performance/speed will be the same as GPT?

If he later buys an additional drive with, let's say 3 TB, can he format that one into GPT and then use the combination of MBR and GPT drives in the same PC and OS? Only with UEFI and secure boot I guess, since you said that GPT won't work in CSM mode.

I don't know what to suggest him, CSM enabled or not, secure boot enabled or not, GPT or MBR for the small drives... Confused.

9. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #9 Mr.X, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    Yes because of SSD. Right a bit faster.

Yes it doesn't matter which partitioning scheme you use. They will have same performance according to their own specs.
    The only difference as you were told is the boot system drive: UEFI and Fast Boot enabled is a bit faster in SSD, considerably faster in HDD. Although other factors are involved such as OS, motherboard, RAM, etc.

Yes he can/must add a 3TB drive in GPT scheme, this secondary GPT 2TB drive can work in UEFI or CSM mode.
    The SSD is the only one to be in GPT if UEFI is selected. If CSM is selected it goes MBR.
    Then add the secondary 3TB drive forcibly in GPT scheme.

For easy experience and maintenance I would recommend MBR/CSM.

The above statements are general on any context. Trial and error is your best shot for your friend's particular system. Try both and see which one is best in your own scenario.

10. SegaGenesis

Sep 8, 2014
    Thank you very much for your help!

Since he'll install Windows 8.1 (ne it on a GPT or a MBR disk), should he enabe the fast boot? It will be faster, yes, but can it bring any trouble?

I alwas prefered stability over performance. :)

11. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Fast Boot and Secure Boot features only work on UEFI / GPT scheme. Personally I've never seen any trouble but you know, anything could happen when using PCs.
    Once again, personally I believe UEFI, Fast Boot, Secure Boot technologies are in their infancy, hence I do prefer stability over boot performance I'd stick to CSM/MBR scheme.

12. SegaGenesis

Sep 8, 2014
    Thanx! Anyone here thinks different? I was thinking of suggesting him to go with GPT and secure boot but those are pretty new technologies so I guess it's maybe really better to go with SCM/MBR.

13. SegaGenesis

Sep 8, 2014
    After reading through some other forums too I think I decided to really suggest him to go MBR. So what has to be changed in the UEFI to enable MBR? CSM I guess? Secure boot has to be disabled? What about fast boot? What else has to be changed?

14. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    CSM, you guessed right
    Fast Boot/Secure Boot is disabled when you switch to CSM mode.
    Nothing else.

On a side note I recommend to upgrade UEFI firmware to latest version available.

15. SegaGenesis

Sep 8, 2014
    Thank you. And yes, I would always upgrade BIOS (or in this case UEFI) to the latest version. :)

16. SegaGenesis

Sep 8, 2014
    Just in case my friends decides to go with UEFI & GPT, will he still be able to use secure boot if he'll be installing Windows 8.1 from a DL link from this site and MTK for activation? Would that count as a signed system? How will the installation pass?

17. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    MTK will work with both layouts, GPT and MBR.

Win 8 and later support Secure Boot.

Installation is similiar, only the system partitions created by Setup differ.

18. SegaGenesis

Sep 8, 2014
    I understand what you are saying. But, will he be able to use the secure boot with a pirated version of Windows 8.1? Will installation go through? Or will he have to disable the secure boot?

And when will he be prompted to select MBR vs GPT? Probably if he runs in UEFI mode it will be formatted as GPT without asking and in CSM mode as MBR, also without even asking?

My fiend doesn't know so much about computers and is relying on me for advice. And he doesn't want to spend any money of original Windows since he'll be only using it for home.

19. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Secure Boot only affects the boot process, in opposite to the Windows Loader from Daz, MTK doesn't install anything related to boot process. As said Volume (KMS) activation will work smoothly.

When Secure Boot and UEFI boot are enabled, Windows Setup will create GPT partitions automatically.

20. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    What s1ave77 said will happen even on a KMS activated (no legit) Windows 8.1. So rest assured your friend will have no issues... Hey! but don't forget to grab an iso provided in here, MDL. Check hashes, etc.