UEFI W10 upgrade question...

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Taliseian, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Taliseian

Taliseian MDL Junior Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Greetings,

Going to work on a friends computer. Her desktop can boot UEFI, but was having issues with installing W7 Ultimate 64bit so it's currently in Legacy Mode - also was activated with Daz's Loader.

She'd like to upgrade to W10 Pro 64bit, and if possible re-enable UEFI.

I know to check Validation, do an upgrade, then I can clean install - that's not the question.

My question is, after the clean install is done can you just turn on Secure Boot and UEFI in bios and everything will be fine? I have little experience with UEFI and Secure Boot modes.

Thanks in advance....

T

2. fLOW.

fLOW. MDL Senior Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Yes, it'll be fine, the system will stay activated.

3. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #3 odiebugs1, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    You can't turn on UEFI, UEFI is the new BIOS. You need to install booting from a flash drive, DVD and choose UEFI so windows installs GPT and not MBR or the system uses legacy (BIOS) and not it's true UEFI mode.

So no you can't just turn them on. Daz will only work with MBR, and there's no big reason to use UEFI besides secure boot and having drives over 2TB.

You get Faster boot-up, CPU-independent architecture, CPU-independent drivers, Flexible pre-OS environment, including networking support, Modular design interface in UEFI. But it's not the greatest thing ever.

I would leave it, upgrade and if you really need too, reinstall in MBR so you stay activated. Unless something like loader comes out, there's only Enterprise and then you need to run KMS, which it can have kmspico which will keep activating every 180days.

4. genenioo

genenioo MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2007
    #4 genenioo, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    I agree with Odiebugs1. You can't set it up with MBR and then change it to UEFI. Will not boot in UEFI after a MBR setup--only in MBR. UEFI has created a lot of problems and confusion for me, but I suppose we have to have it to accommodate hard drives over 2TB unless there is a way to get over 2TB with a traditional BIOS. They seemed to have no trouble getting increased size recognition up to now--I remember when 32 MB was the limit.

5. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Thanks for the backup.

6. genenioo

genenioo MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2007
    Don't you agree that if it's set up with MBR it won't boot if you switch the BIOS to UEFI?

7. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015

Yes about the UEFI, and actually you can't switch, there's only CSM for pure UEFI.

But now a days the best thing is a PCI-E or M2 NVME drive, Sata 3 is dead. A 128g M2 PCI-E, with windows and then the large old HDD for storage.

8. fLOW.

fLOW. MDL Senior Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I misunderstood the OP question.

What he wants is to do a clean install with a UEFI/GPT device with the right settings in BIOS and then install the system.

Don't install the system as Legacy/MBR and then change the settings, it won't boot. Start fresh and setup everything before a clean install.

9. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    But flow: They said they used Daz, and you can't use it with GPT.

10. wei4294967296

wei4294967296 MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2009
    I already tried this on my notebook.
    You can upgrade from Windows 7(Legacy BIOS+MBR) then format and reinstall Windows 10(UEFI+GPT).
    The activation still remains.

11. dlfade

dlfade MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2010
    Beware that if you install from USB and create the ISO on it with the Microsoft application the USB WON'T BOOT IN UEFI.

Look up a program called "Rufus" that lets you create a USB ISO formatted in GPT that will boot in UEFI/GPT.

But before you can do this you have to already have updated to Win10 and activated, because Daz will work only on MBR. So you need to install W7 on MBR, use Daz, activate online, update to W10 within the OS and finally verify W10 is activated.

Then you create the USB ISO through Rufus, reboot in UEFI and install from scratch.

12. fLOW.

fLOW. MDL Senior Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I don't think it matters, since you get activated you can do a clean install on that machine as much as you want.

Like wei4294967296 i also tested it myself, coming from a CSM/MBR to UEFI/GPT, although i didn't had DAZ loader but a legit system.

13. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    I changed Two PCs from Daz loaded Win-7 Ultimate on a MBR mechanical to Win-10 Pro in UEFI on SSDs, so there's no problem doing it and remaining activated. It helps if You have a second PC with a Dock with Minitool Partition Wizard, and/or You're familiar with using DISKPART to remove the partitions on the MBR disk and then change it from MBR to GPT with Disk management. "Burn" the Win 10 ISO to a USB using Rufus with MBR partitioning for the upgrade. After the upgrade is done and activated, Burn the ISO again with GPT partitioning for the fresh install.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Sorry I left that out for the OP, I didn't want to get too in depth if they were going to stick with MBR. I've been booting for years in a pure UEFI with a RAID array because I've always had GOP support so it's not in a EFI mode.

Rufus is sweet, better than the old days of formatting fat32 and running CMD for diskpart.

15. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    I tried with a MBR single with Daz, then clean installed with the RAID set and was getting act error, but if you people say it works I guess I should have used the RAID set also to start.

Tried everything, so I just installed the Enterp key with the Pro install, let it update and ran a KMS.

16. thechicken82

thechicken82 MDL Novice

Jun 4, 2014
    Yeah I'm just making this reply to get to 5 posts so I can start thanking people, but also I have just been trying to get Windows 10 upgrade on an old hard drive with windows 7 activated by microsoft toolkit

17. cyberloner

cyberloner MDL Member

Sep 19, 2009
    i am totally new to gpt stuff... after reading a lot and researching... i am not gonna move to a new partition that doing nothing special... only trouble ...
    it will cause me loss all data one my hdd... and help nothing ... it will be same...
    unless install new hdd with 3 or 4 or more TB HDD....

18. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Use Daz loader, and I think that the thank you's button has been removed, not sure if it will be back but not at the moment.

19. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Unless you want to boot from a HDD over 2TB, not much of a big deal. The way to go now is a M2 PCI-E or PCI-E SSD for windows, and the M2 are only 100.00, and use the old HDD for storage or programs.