UefiSeven: Easily boot Windows 7 on UEFI class 3 devices

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by manatails, Aug 3, 2020.

1. manatails

manatails MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2014
    #1 manatails, Aug 3, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  2. cengizhan

cengizhan MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    what happens if we replace this bootmgfw file in install.wim? also do we need to disable secure boot?

3. manatails

manatails MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2014
    Yes secure boot must be disabled

I have no experience with modifying install.wim file directly, but if you could edit it so that it installs bootmgfw.efi and bootmgfw.original.efi in the same folder it will also work the same way

4. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    The point is to be able to boot the installed windows 7.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mbc004

mbc004 MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2020
    It's installed, but still runs in VGA mode, so you need to run UefiSeven.efi first to install VGA emulator. Theoretically you can remove VGA emulator if the graphic driver is installed and VGA driver is disabled in registry?

Also: do you still need to replace bootmgfw.efi with the one from Windows 10? I was under impression that the 0xc000000d error was unrelated to (lack of) VGA emulation.

6. manatails

manatails MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2014
    #6 manatails, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    (OP)
    UefiSeven emulates a generic VGA device so you don't have to remove it, if you install a new graphics driver Windows will automatically prefer it over UefiSeven's generic device.
    If you boot to safe mode Windows will fall back to UefiSeven's generic device. You can remove UefiSeven if you want but then there is nothing Windows can fall back to, so you wouldn't be able to use safe mode anymore so better keep it unless there is something wrong with it.

You don't have to take bootmgfw.efi from Windows 10, from what I have tested 0xc000000d error didn't appear with UefiSeven enabled.

7. manatails

manatails MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2014
    Made a small update:
    -Placing UefiSeven.skiperrors file in the same directory will skip any warnings and errors during boot.

Use it after confirming that UefiSeven boots successfully regardless of the error and you don't want to press enter to continue every time you boot Windows.

8. manatails

manatails MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2014
    Because you if you don't use UefiSeven and try to use initialize generic VGA driver in pure EFI systems Windows will simply freeze because of the missing BIOS interrupt.

In safe mode Windows disables any graphics drivers installed and tries to boot with generic VGA driver, so it will also make the system freeze, unless you use UefiSeven.

9. reyzafany

reyzafany MDL Novice

Jun 22, 2019
    Hello I met some trouble when following the steps you've described above. I followed steps 1 to 4, restart my laptop and managed to boot properly until the EFI Shell menu. The problem appeared when I tried to install the windows 7 in which I'm stuck in the windows 7 starting windows screen.
    I previously downloaded win 7 ultimate sp1 msdn iso, used integrate 7 to slipstream all available updates, and prepare the win 7 installation drive using rufus.

10. YRInc

YRInc MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2020
    Thanks for your great work! Neat and impressive!!!

11. YRInc

YRInc MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2020
    Btw, can I translate this thread into Chinese and post on similar Chinese forum?
    I will highlight this original thread’s url as well as your git repo.

12. manatails

manatails MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2014
    sure

13. manatails

manatails MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2014
    Can you try booting from the UEFI boot menu directly without loading it from EFI shell?

If it still doesn't work can you upload a screenshot of the verbose log right before the windows logo

14. YRInc

YRInc MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2020
    Thanks

15. reyzafany

reyzafany MDL Novice

Jun 22, 2019
    I honestly don't know how to boot from the UEFI boot menu directly without loading it from EFI shell. This is my first time trying to install windows 7 on kabylake-r device.

16. manatails

manatails MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2014
    strange, from the screenshots I don't see why it wouldn't work here
    try booting the installation media in safe mode by pressing f8 key during boot and see where it freezes
    perhaps it could be something not related to int10h...

edit: I see you are using uefi:ntfs loader, this might be the problem, try creating the usb drive in fat32

17. reyzafany

reyzafany MDL Novice

Jun 22, 2019
  18. Atak_Snajpera

Atak_Snajpera MDL Member

Feb 2, 2018