Unable to access Event Viewer

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Pinkeh, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Pinkeh

Pinkeh MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2013
    When I try to load the Windows Logs section of event viewer, I am greeted with this error.
    "Event Viewer cannot open the event log of custom view. Verify that Event Log service is running or query is too long (50)

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I just right click on the Start Menu Icon and chose Event Viewer and it opens normally!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Pinkeh

Pinkeh MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2013
    #3 Pinkeh, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    (OP)
    I still get the same error. The Event Log and Event Collector services are running

Edit: I clicked on Custom Views > Administrative Events and I recieve errors saying that "The request is not supported" for logs such as Application / Hardware Events and more.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Run from elevated Command Prompt: sfc /scannow and see that find anything wrong!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Pinkeh

Pinkeh MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2013
    I did run sfc /scannow and it did report corrupt files.

P.S I have to go for a few hours, so I will respond when I get back

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    May you go to the Update and Recovery and run an Refresh of your installation!

7. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    Refresh installation only to access event viewer ? I'm almost not use this option.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    There some (maybe not so important) system files affected or even damaged. May they although having some effect to other features etc.? As OP wrote, using SFC scan it shows several files damaged and that SHOULD be repaired anyway, doesn't matter how important they are.