Unable to activate, windows expired

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Layered, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Layered

Layered MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2010
    Hi, my copy of windows xp has expired and I'm unable to get pass the windows activation screen. Is there any way I can still activate using the tools here?

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    If you can get into windows vis F8 i,e safe mode then you should be able to convert installation to OEM SLP read the stickies.

3. Layered

Layered MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2010
    I've tried to boot into safe-mode but it still kicks me out. Does this mean I need a clean install ?

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  5. cingularv551

cingularv551 MDL Junior Member

Oct 11, 2009
    to bypass windows product activation, you need to choose safe mode without networking. if you choose safe mode with networking, wpa will still be active and require you to activate before you can login.

6. cingularv551

Oct 11, 2009
    #6 cingularv551, Oct 21, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
    as another option, pull the harddrive out of the computer and place it into a windows machine that does boot up. you can then use anti-wpa to modify winlogon.exe to bypass the activation stuff. this solution will also allow you to login if you've got a corrupted digitalproductid in the registry.

7. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    I suggest repair install v. AntiWPA...The latter is problematic in the long run. You should be able to enter safe mode without networking, certainly after repair install.

You can repair with an ISO that has the correct OEMBIOS and serial in the .SIF file for auto activate..this is the best option IMHO as this avoids the previous issues (safe mode v. crack).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. cingularv551

Oct 11, 2009
    ye, cracking winlogon.exe with antiwpa can be problematic if microsoft issues an update for winlogon. but over the years, i've been suprised how infrequently microsoft updates winlogon. the only updates to it seem to occur when a service pack is installed. maybe we'll see SP4 for winxp before the operating systems end of life in 2014, but maybe not.

btw: there are two versions of antiwpa floating around:
    -the one i prefer modifies the actual code inside winlogon to bypass all the activation stuff. this hack is really hard for microsoft to detect since only a few bytes inside winlogon have been modified.
    -there is another version of antiwpa around that installs a system hook to modify the result of the insafemode check to make winlogon think the computer always booted up in safe mode. this version of antiwpa is troublesome because it's really easy for the ms genuine disadvantage software to detect the hack. and some antivirus programs flag the dll as malware and delete it so that you cannot login anymore.

9. cingularv551

Oct 11, 2009
    doing a repair install could be overkill. it's much easier to download the proper oembios files and vlk changer program onto a flash drive on another computer. then boot up the machine in safe mode and convert the system over to an oem slp installation with the flash drive.

10. cdr_80_premium

cdr_80_premium MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2010
    where is this antiwpa that doesn't put a DLL easily taken away by antivirus? I could only find one version.

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    That would never work unless he has same SLP 1.0 string in DMI on both machines.

12. cingularv551

Oct 11, 2009

Attached Files:

13. cingularv551

Oct 11, 2009
    adding an slp 1.0 string to the dmi area of most motherboard bioses is not too difficult.

you could also use the antiwpa patch mentioned above instead. that patch sets the oobetimer value in the registry to activated status so no need for activating your coa key to login or pass the wga check anymore. you can also use slp keys on the machine without having valid slp info in the bios either.

14. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ cingularv551, antiwpa patch e.c.t should only be used as last resort we do try to discourage these and push OEM SLP activation saves problems in future.

15. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #15 911medic, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
    In the changer tool is the one to add the .dll..I will put an uninstaller in the tool shortly. Just been too busy add it..(just a file and a reg value)

The other actually modifies a few files and is not easily reversed or removed (contrary to popular belief)..it can really screw a system.

Like Urie said, use it just as a last resort to add the necessary files to achieve OEM act (i.e. RUN TOOL)..The AntiWPA is a quick fix to not be relied upon for long term activation..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. cingularv551

Oct 11, 2009
    that antiwpa program is useful for experimentation with microsoft's wga program. you can put any digitalproductid you want in the registry and still be able to login. for a few months, i was running a digitalproductid for a windows xp home installation on a windows xp mediacenter install without any problems. winlogon would never normally permit this behavoir.

btw: did you guys read through the text documentation that is included with the antiwpa & termserver no restriction patches? the author managed to disassemble the encrypted winlogon program and reverse engineer the activation source code to some extent. makes for very interesting reading if you are a computer programmer interested in the technical details of windows product activation.

17. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Agreed...I do not think the program is useful when you can just add SLP to DMI and activate without issue. The crack programs are good for testing and recover, as long as easily removed.

18. cingularv551

Oct 11, 2009
    #18 cingularv551, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
    That terminal-server-no-restriction-patch could be a really useful thing in a business environment. Users could continue to work on the console while you the admin login via a remote desktop session to do administrative tasks. Server 2003 has this behavior enabled by default.

In the beta versions of xp service pack 2, microsoft allowed an rdp session while there was an active user on the console. But this feature was deleted by the time sp2 was released to the public.

But a business environment is generally not a good place to run cracked software in. And the termserver no-restriction patch does not work properly with fast user switching or machines that are members of a domain.

this is getting a little off-topic now. the original reason i included the termserver patch was because it had the wpa_kill program inside it that patches winlogon to remove the product activation code.

19. cingularv551

Oct 11, 2009
    the wpakill program does leave a backup of the unmodified winlogon.exe program inside \windows\system32

after you get your slp key into the registry and oembios files copied into \windows\system32, you can rename the modified winlogon.exe and put back the original unmodified winlogin in it's place.