Unable to add additional X86 printer drivers in W7 X64

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by varso, Sep 21, 2009.

1. varso

varso MDL Junior Member

Sep 10, 2009
    I have installed a driver for my printer and it works perfectly. Now I am trying to share my printer with my old XP computer. I therefore need to install the x86 version of my printer drivers.

When I click on the share tab of the Printer Property menu and I select additional drivers and then select the X86 drivers, W7 ask me for the drivers location. Unfortunately, the X64 installation DVD does not include the x86 version of my printer drivers.

How do you install the x86 version of my printer drivers on a X64 installation?

Thanks

2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Last time I had this issue, the fix involved browsing the filesystem of another machine which had a 32-bit install of the same OS and already had the specific printer installed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. varso

varso MDL Junior Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Not really user friendly. Legally, it involves buying two different W7 licences or downloading 2 diff DVD versions.

In addition, Did W7 find the drivers automatically on the DVD? There are no visible inf files on the DVD.