Unable to boot from a BOOTABLE USB Drive

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by sohail_f, Jan 20, 2014.

1. sohail_f

sohail_f MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2014
    Hi,
    I have a bootable usb drive containing windows 8.1.
    I have windows 8.1 installed on my machine as well but still need to make a fresh install of windows.

My problem is I am not able to boot my system using this bootable drive. The drive is bootable which is tried on other system and worked perfectly but I am wondering why I am unable to boot using this drive.
    I made USB HDD as my first boot device in BIOS. even i tried to restart the machine press f12 and select boot device as USB HDD but it wont bot from it :(
    some one plz help.
    motherbord version is :
    GYGABYTE GA-945GCMX-S2

2. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    How did you format the USB stick ?

Maybe try using Rufus to make your bootable USB stick ?

Whoops, it does boot on another machine.:eek:

3. sohail_f

sohail_f MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2014
    I tried both the FAT32 as well as NTFS file format

4. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Reading your post again I see your selecting USB HDD.

I think this is NOT your USB stick.

I notice this a LGA 775 board. Boot into the BIOS and see if boot from USB is available, it may need switching on.

I will try to search if that board can boot from usb.

5. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Had a look round and not really found any info.

I had a look for the minimum spec Windows 8.1 can be installed onto. Your machine is on the very bottom of the spec list. :(

To be honest I would sling XP on that machine, maybe Win 7.

Is this your only machine or just a mess about thing ?

You say the USB boots on another machine, what do you select to boot on that machine. Is it just USB or USB HDD ?

Is there a DVD reader in the machine ? maybe try using a burnt DVD instead ?

6. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Can we just go over formatting the USB drive..

It has to be

Just right clicking formatting wont work..

Then copy files to USB.

7. sohail_f

sohail_f MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2014
    well M using windows 8 from the very first day.. no issue with windows 8...even if i wanna install windows XP from USB Drive same story will be there.
    I dnt hav optical Drive...I always insatll windows using USB Drive...but on this motherboad its first time...on other machines i tried USB HDD

8. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008

So USB HDD is ok then....

You already have Win 8 installed.

It must be down to how you formatted the drive and put the files on.

Try re-doing the drive from scratch and copying a new set of files.

Are you extracting the .iso straight to the USB or is the .iso already extracted and your just copying the files over.

Maybe try extracting the .iso again just in case a file is missing\corrupt ?

9. sohail_f

sohail_f MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2014
    well thankx tnx for your concern..It got solved .... here the solution, might be useful for those who wants to Boot Gigabyte motherboard with boot able USB Drive:
    you might need to select boot from Hard Drive instead of USB HDD and then you can see your USB Drive as an option over there!!
    Nowi have two more question in case you or any one knows
    1-I am trying to activate that through skype but m unable to do so..i follow the instruction mentioned in this(forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/47459-LEAK-MICROSOFT-WINDOWS-8-1-RTM-X86-x64-ENGLISH-DVD-WZT/page38) topic but at the end she said you might be victim of software piracy :( .... do you knw any solution!!?
    2-is there any way to check weather the ISO file that i have is the untouched one or not

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    There are different types of bootable USB, USB HDD is where iso file is extracted to USB thumb drive were as other method can use the iso file Rufus for example.

11. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    I am not sure really what Rufus does to make the USB drive bootable. I have tried it but to be honest I like the manual way.

Glad the OP is sorted now and it's good he put his sollution up for others :cool: