Unable to boot windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by InEvX, Dec 15, 2009.

1. InEvX

InEvX MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I bought a new Western Digital Black 640gb and installed windows 7 on it and everything, so both of my hard drives loaded windows 7.
    I decided to format my old hard-drive(750gb) and keep my 640gb hard-drive as my one primary hard-drive and my other hard-drive as just storage.
    Once I formatted my 750 gb hard drive, I'm unable to load windows with my 640 GB hard-drive :(!
    What the hell did I do?!
    Under Disk Management,
    640gb: Disk 0: Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)
    750gb: Disk 1: Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

Did I install WIN7 wrong or something?

What can I do, to make my DISK 0 my hard-drive to actually boot up and work like normal.
    I had to reinstall windows 7 on my 750 gb hard-drive just so I can come online and ask for help :(.

If someone knows how I can make my 640 gb hard-drive work again, please help :)

Thanks!

2. Stool

Stool MDL Junior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Insert dvd. Choose repair. Enter appropriate info. Choose command prompt. type: "bootsect /nt60 ALL". press enter.

Done :)

3. InEvX

InEvX MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    This won't delete anything on my hard-drive right?

4. Stool

Stool MDL Junior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Nope, this will fix your master boot record, which will enable you to start up again.

5. InEvX

InEvX MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    THANK YOU!!!!!!
    YAY it works! Perfectly :D!

If it's not too much to ask, right after my BIOS loads up, I get the "Windows Boot Manager" screen.
    Is there anyway to get rid of this?
    First option is: "Windows 7" <---the one that I formatted so it doesn't work anymore
    Second option: "Windows 7 Ultimate (Recovered)"

Is there a way to get rid of this screen and have a normal boot? Without the "windows boot manager'?

THANKS!

6. InEvX

InEvX MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Problem solved!

"urie" stated to use "easybcd" and it worked perfectly to solve that annoying boot manager problem :D!

Thanks once again :D

7. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    When you installed win7 on the new drive, windows installed the boot files for the second OS on the old drive, where also the bootfiles of the first OS where stored. Win7 does that when it detects bootfiles from the same os (read: win7) on a different drive.

So when you formatted the first drive, all bootfiles for your OS on the new drive were lost.

So for whoever plans a win7/win7 dualboot in the future, keep in mind that bootfiles for BOTH os'es could be stored on the same drive.

8. moaziz

moaziz MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    remove the 750 hard disk

put windows installation desk

after language choosing

press repair windows

choose start up repair

then connect your 750 hard

use any disk partition CD to reformat it again to remove the boot files on it

9. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    1st to answer your ??? what did you do... ANS: you removed your bootmgr.

If none of the others work. I did mine this way.

1. with 640 as only HDD installed.
    2. boot to your media - install Win7 (about 20 min). this adds the bootmgr to the 640 HDD. (that is what your missing.)
    3. If you then move/copy the bootmgr from windows to windows.old
    4. rename windows to windows.new
    5. rename windows.old to windows
    6. Reboot and the old Windows 7 will be active and you can rename the windows.new to windows.old
    7. use diskclean and advanced to let windows auto delete the windows.old