Unable To Delete Folders Containing Files or subfolders?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by whitejohnny, May 27, 2011.

1. whitejohnny

whitejohnny MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2010
    I've been having a weird problem on Win7x64Ultimate:

It started out as being unable to delete folders on my Desktop which contained any files. I am the administrator. The permissions are correct; verified against another install. In order to delete the folder, I have to delete all of the files in the folder. If there are subfolders, I have to start from the bottom deleting the files, then folders. Then it starting spreading to other drives.

I know that the common advice, is 'oh, well, you have to empty the folder first...' NO. That is not the default behavior. It's a pain in the @$$ besides. I move A LOT of folders and files around every day. I want to fix the problem. I have scanned and scanned again, no virus/infection.

The issue is so random. I've thought that maybe a program I use frequently is not releasing a Handle or something, locking a file, is that a possibility?

How do I fix it? What is broken? Is it a setting?

Does anybody have any idea what program/etc to use to monitor for open handles etc, so I can try to spot the problem?

I'm seriously considering a re-install, with the days worth of backup copying and program installation.

Any ideas?

Thanks for taking the time, this is really frustrating!

2. whitejohnny

whitejohnny MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2010
    Ok, maybe I can use the first one for a workaround to I figure out why this is happening. Sometimes I can delete a folder no problem. Sometimes the same folder will hang and ask for admin rights, (even tho I am admin) and when I click ok, it still won't delete it; just asks again for admin permission.... I've used Unlocker before, and it works, but both of these are just cumbersome workarounds to the problem.

Even resetting ownership and permission doesn't help. Sometimes I can delete folders from cmd prompt, but it seems more like if I weait a certain amount of time after I am in the folder, then I can do it. I need to solve this, as I make a lot of OS images and CD/dvds, and flash drive based recovery setups. Its just too cumbersome to have to go through every folder in, say, xp home iso, and delete files then folders all the way up....

HELP!!!!!

3. Solace50

Solace50 MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    i forget which service it was but if you disable it and navigate within a certain folder you will be unable to delete the folder. check black vipers website if you messed with any services.

4. jcgo16

jcgo16 MDL Junior Member

Sep 16, 2010
    try to use unlocker?

sorry i cant post the link because i have only 14 post
    i dont know if this will work even the permission is corrupt

5. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    Word of caution taking ownership. Be careful with it, my win 7 back then running on 32 bits was creating loops of OS folders that I could no longer delete. Everything was working ok, just my memory space was being eating up. I no longer use that feature.
    If you have messed with owneship before right and left, you maybe due for a fresh install. It was a known issue after researching it. Good luck

6. idsk

idsk MDL Junior Member

Aug 25, 2009
    i got the exact same issue!
    i always told myself it was related to the antivirus (i use avira)
    i never found the solution, when it happend i direclty know i need to go in the folder and delete stuff inside first..

7. whitejohnny

whitejohnny MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2010
    k, checked services, I run closer to tweaked on the chart, but i config'd 'em all for the 'safe' settings...
    no change.

8. whitejohnny

whitejohnny MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2010
    Thanks for all the input folks. In my case, I re-enabled the 'application experience' serivce and the issue seems to have gone away.
    Thanks all!

9. jbana

jbana MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2010
    I had the same problem & found it was caused by Divx which I installed for their Video player. This caused many problems even after I uninstalled it. Couldn't move or delete files. I had to wear out the Google Search for a solution, but I got it. Hopes this may help. I know how frustrating these problems are.
    Win & Ult 32bit, IE8 & Firefox, Avast Security