Unable to extend my C drive in Disk Management.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Borg2620, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Borg2620

Borg2620 MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2014
    I am running Windows 7 on my laptop. I am also trying to extend some unallocated space to my C drive in Disk Management and find the Extend option is unable to work. I don’t know why. Do you know anything about it? Is it still possible for me to extend my C drive successfully? Any solution would be greatly appreciated here!

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Afaik this needs unallocated space next to the partition you're trying to extend. Not sure whether this can be done while system is running. There are loads of bootable partition tools that should do the job.

Recommend to backup data first, as messing with the partition layout might end fatal :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mackrack5

mackrack5 MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2010
    Laptop with OEM Windows ?
    If So then there might be Reserved Recovery Partition.In this Situation its Risky to change C Drive Disk Size.
    If Not then
    what is the Size that some unallocated space you are trying to Extend.
    Its Better to give Details Of Disk which Shows in Disk Management with Drive Labels(If it Contains Some OEM Recovery Partition )

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    This, you can't extend into allocated space. You have to create unallocated space right next to the space you wish to grow. Do this by shrinking the adjoining partition. Then you can extend into that unallocated space.

6. Brian563

Brian563 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2014
    Is the unallocated space behind your C drive?

The “Extend” option in Disk Management often works when your unallocated space is consciously behind your C drive. That’s probably why you cannot extend your C drive there.

But, don’t worry! There are other solutions for you. You also can take chances with some partition resizing tools like IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free, GParted, EaseUS Partition Master and more.

Note: If you don’t want to lose your partition data in the process, you’d better back up all partition data on safe places in advance.

7. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Maybe the poster has found a solution. There was only first post and then nothing else.

8. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Not all that uncommon really.

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #10 urie, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    Yeah seems to be common problem, post question members reply and never an answer :confused: back. But no problem other members may have same problem so hopefully answers help.

10. montwel

montwel MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2014
    Well , windows built-in tool is not flexible very much. I suggest you goolge and find a third-party partition software. You can also watch how to do from youtube.

11. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Might be he was successful in some way and broke his installation ... :smoking:.

12. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Not very likely it might end fatal, however those third party tools are necessary to achieve this goal. It's a low likelihood bad scenario to happen, thus I do recommend Minitool Partition Wizard, latest version. :rolleyes:

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes like other members I also do prefer third party tools for partitioning e.c.t usually show you a sliding scale so you can envisage what is happening and you also have the option of some form of recovery. With windows disk management we still work in MB rather than GB obviously due to it just being a front end for Diskpart.