Unable To Install Vista SP1

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by C.B., Aug 7, 2012.

1. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I recently did a reinstall of Vista Ultimate x86 on my stepson's computer due to virus damage preventing me from accessing my hard drive. I had to use my Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10, which discovered and deleted the viruses, before I had access to the drive for a reformat and clean install. The computer is a Dell Dimension E-521 with 4GB of dual channel DDR2 RAM. I have in excess of 3GB of RAM available so I know that not having enough memory is not the problem. I allow Windows to manage the page file.

Anyway, I now have the problem of not being able to install SP1. I ran an extended memory test using the Windows memory diagnostics I downloaded from Microsoft and memory tests using memtest from memtest.org before I reinstalled. All memory tests passed with flying colors.

When I attempt to install SP1 it shows the restore point being made (Preparing to install) and then I get the separate install window for the service pack. It then installs for no more than one second and shows the installation as successful. When I view the update history in Windows Update it shows as being successfully installed but when I use Belarc Advisor, winver or check the System Properties the service pack is not listed. When I go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, Installed Updates there is no listing for SP1, which also verifies that it has not been installed. In addition, whenever I check for updates the Service Pack 1 is listed as an available update. It has installed "successfully" ten times or more, yet it has not installed.

I researched the issue and subsequently went to Microsoft's website and downloaded and installed the update that fixes Windows Update problems due to a language pack not installing completely, thinking that maybe the Chinese Simplified language pack only partially installed. Of course, before doing that I checked the update history in Windows Update and the installed updates in Programs and Features, verifying that the language pack had indeed been installed. I logged into my stepson's account and verified that his user account did in fact display Chinese Simplified. It is also visible in my user account when I go to Control Panel, Region and Language, Keyboards and Languages, Choose a display language. I did more research and discovered a hotfix for Windows Update's failure to install problems and downloaded and installed it. Neither one of these fixes solved the problem. It's a never-ending loop. Installed, offer it again, installed, offer it again, on and on and on and on.

I then did a System Restore back to the point before I attempted the first SP1 installation. SP1 was again offered to me and the same endless loop presented itself again so I undid the restore. I ran another chkdsk /f /r and no problems were discovered. I did another sfc /scannow and no problems were found. I again ran both memory diagnostic CDs that I had burned from ISOs and all memory tests passed, for the second time.

I'm stumped. Does anyone have an answer to my problem? I recall from a few years ago that certain Windows Update files can be renamed or deleted and that doing this sometimes solves a Windows Update installation problem but as I recall it causes Windows Update to delist all the previously installed updates. I'm aware that Microsoft offers a standalone installer for SP1 but it's not to be used for installing the service pack on a single machine so I haven't gone that route.

Thank you in advance for your time and any assistance provided.

C.B.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
  4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Have you ever though about getting a bios mod with SLIC 2.1 and Installing windows 7, I have a Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop it came with vista I modded the bios and installed Windows 7 ultimate and have never looked back will never install vista on my machine again even tough I can:biggrin:

5. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    #5 C.B., Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
    (OP)

Hey urie,

I wouldn't know how to modify my toothbrush, much less a bios. I know enough about computers to enable me to fix small issues but that's about it. I have nothing but admiration and respect for many of the posters I see in various computer forums. Their knowledge sometimes astounds me. The latest bios from Dell for my E-521 is 1.1.11 and I have no idea what the SLC is. I assume that it's 2.0. If I was using the computer I would attempt to determine if I could run Win 7 on it but my stepson is the only one who uses it. Vista Ultimate x86 will serve his needs; however, you make me curious to the point that I'll probably now have to know.

C.B.

6. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I did a second reformat and clean install, deciding to save the Chinese Simplified language pack installation for last, yet still encountered the same problem with the installation of SP1; however, I paid closer attention to the process this time and discovered that the SP1 being offered me through Windows Update was actually not SP1 at all. As I noted earler, the service pack, as before, would install in appx. one second, show as installed in Windows Update, but showing as not installed in Programs and Features, Installed Updates. I noticed that the SP1 being offered had a file size of only 1.9 MB, which is why it took only one second to install. I have a download speed of 18 Mbps so that seems to be about right.

I received three error codes while trying to install this "rogue" SP1. I assume that the proper SP1 file size should be around 65 MB since I deliberately chose to save any third party software installations until after the reinstall was complete. The error codes were 8000FFFF, which concerned registry values blocking the update, 80070020, which concerned programs running and interfering with the update and 80071A90, which concerned files required for the update being in use and blocked. I was offered three hotfixes, which I installed. They were 50202, 50123 and wu.LB.136267880780100484.1.1.Run. These hotfixes concerned deleting "Pending XmlIdentifier", deleting "NestQueueEntryIndex", deleting "AdvancedInstallersNeed Resolving", installing PowerShell and repairing two instances of "Windows Update components must be repaired. In my opinion, these hotfixes being necessary is questionable at best, unless the retail installation disc is flawed, which I seriously doubt since it performed flawlessly before. I also checked the Installed Updates in Programs and Features to be certain that the two updates necessary for SP1 to succeed, KB949939 and KB937287, were present and actually installed. KB949939 was in the first offering of updates after the install and KB937287 was offered in the update just prior to being offered SP1.

That did not solve the problem so I did three clean boots in various configurations, to no avail. I then decided to use the Vista SP1 five language standalone installer from Microsoft and the service pack installed flawlessly. I decided to leave the changes made by the three hotfixes to remain in place.

The installation was done using my retail Vista Ultimate x86 disc, which contains only the OS. No third party software was installed. The only thing in addition to the OS I installed were the necessary drivers from my Dell Utilities disc and Microsoft Security Essentials. The installation of the SP1 from Windows Update was attempted with the antivirus on, disabled and uninstalled, all to no avail.

I firmly believe that my problems are related to a deficiency or problem related to Windows Update itself. I have used this particular installation disc on many occassions in the past, all reformat and clean installs, and had no problems whatsoever. Actually, as I've stated earler, this is the first time I've had any problems installing a service pack in XP, Vista and Windows 7. I'm considering asking Microsoft to send me replacement installation discs for both x86 and x64. I'm willing to pay any nominal charges related to the replacement.

Again, I thank everyone for their time and assistance.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Your slightly confusing me know so what was the final outcome windows vista did install from your dvd and SP1 installed ok with standalone installer for SP1 ?
    if so remember now you have to update to SP2.
    I could not be bothered with all that hassle as I mentioned earlier just download Vista Ultimate x86 SP2 ISO.
    If vista itself did not install or you think it had errors try the dvd in another computer it maybe your dvdrom that is failing.

8. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009

Hey urie,

Yes, it did install from my retail DVD and I did use the 5 language standalone installer, since I waited ultil everything was done this time, including the installation of SP2, which installed flawlessly, before installing the Chinese Simplified language pack. I encountered a Windows Update problem, that being offered updates that were not for my version of Windows, but that's another story which I'm going to address in a new thread. Thank you again for your time and assistance.

C.B.

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    No problem glad you got it up and running.

10. rickavers42

rickavers42 MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2012
    Or you could just install windows 7 without the mod, You don't really think that you need to mod any pc to run win 7 do you? upgrades to ram and processor maybe, but not the bios.

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    mod is for activation
    you say at this point i use daz loader.
    i say at this point booloaders arent as good as real slic 2.1 in bios.
    at this time u dont reply.