Unable to install Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pinkninja, Jul 3, 2011.

1. pinkninja

pinkninja MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2011
    I used the guide about the windows repository and tried to install both 32 bit and 64 bit windows 7. When I put the disc in and restart everything boots up just fine and the installation menu comes up. When I click on install, it then goes to a menu saying something about "Enter the device driver media floppy/dvd/cd or usb". Then it gives me an option to rescan or browse for drivers. The menu is blank and the "Next" button is grayed out and i'm unable to select it. Is there something that i'm doing wrong??

My current OS is Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit

2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Yeah well seems like the Drivers windows7 comes with don't recognize your chipset, you probably use AHCI mode in bios setting, so get your mobo driver disc and input it here :)

Or, go into bios and change 'AHCI mode' to 'IDE mode'

nothing else i can think of for now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Neubie2

Neubie2 MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2011
    I ran into something similar recently, trying to build a new system with some older components. I first had to update/flash the motherboard bios to be ACPI compliant for the newer versions of Windows (Vista/7), but then install kept asking for these driver locations as well. After getting really frustrated with my DVD drive, which might have been the problem, i made a bootable USB stick (16gb) and loaded Win 7 install files onto there, and then booted from the USB stick, and the install went flawlessly. I don't know how old your rig is, but with this newer technology, sometimes the older components aren't up to snuff.
    :biggrin:

4. Frosty

Frosty MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2011
    This is going to sound funny, but when I did my installation of windows 7, it gave me the same thing, look for your drivers. After the third try, I removed the DVD and found that it was oily and dirty. After I cleaned it up, it ran the install without any driver dialog. If the DVD was not dirty, I would have thought it was a bad burn.

5. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    I went usb flash drive route when i faced this a while back, I didnt have the time or the desire to look for drivers, change settings in bios or none of that. Flashsdrive install is actually smooth and quicker I thought, :bananajoj2: