Unable to install Windows 8.1 RTM on my Desktop - Help!!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ady199, Sep 7, 2013.

1. ady199

ady199 MDL Senior Member

Jul 22, 2009
    I previously had Windows 8 installed on my desktop - I've just booted to Windows 8.1 Pro Setup so I can install it on my desktop - I've formatted my hard drive from within the setup but when I try to install Windows 8.1 Pro on the partition, I get the following error message:-

'Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI Systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT Disks'

Help!!! what can I do now as I don't have a version of windows installed anymore

Thanks in advance

2. Camazza

Camazza MDL Member

Oct 8, 2007
    #2 Camazza, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    If you don't have any important data on the disk, it's pretty simple. All you have to do is to access the recovery options through Windows 8.1's installation media, and enter the command prompt. Then type Diskpart and press enter. Once you're into diskpart, type "list disk". You'll see a list of the installed disk drives with a number next to each one, one would be the USB pen with Windows 8.1 so ignore that one (unless you burned it on a dvd). Then "select disk" followed by the number of the relevant disk (the one on which you want to install Windows). Then you type "clean" and then "convert gpt". You're ready to install Windows 8.1

3. pra_viilon

pra_viilon MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    When I was installing Windows 8.1, I deleted all partitions of my hard drive and installed it to the "Unallocated space". It automatically created all the needed partitions. You may try that if you don't use complex partition setup.

4. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Change UEFI Bios settings back to LEGACY BIOS mode..........

5. Camazza

Camazza MDL Member

Oct 8, 2007
    It's an option, but it's always better to install it in EFI mode for faster boot.

6. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Press shift+f10 before starting windows setup and use diskpart to either clean the system disk or convert it to GPT

7. ady199

ady199 MDL Senior Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Thanks for all your replies - I'm trying to go down the diskpart route - how do I create a partition in diskpart in the unallocated space? I have on my Drive 1 - Drive 1 has the following:-

783GB Unallocated Space
    150GB Partition 1 (Data Partition)

Thanks in advance

8. Camazza

Camazza MDL Member

Oct 8, 2007
    You can't convert to GPT unless you sacrifice all the partitions on the drive. Right now, your best course of action would be to run the BIOS in legacy mode. If you can make a backup of that data, then you can use diskpart and type "clean" and "convert gpt". Windows will create the partitions, you will not need to do that manually through diskpart.

9. ady199

ady199 MDL Senior Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Thanks again

But stupid question - how do I run the BIOS in legacy mode? - I have AMI ver 2.10.1208 bios on my desktop

I've looked and I must be blind......but I can see anywhere about legacy mode.

10. Camazza

Camazza MDL Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Are you sure? There must be an option to swich from UEFI to Legacy BIOS mode. Almost every UEFI BIOS has that. If that's not your case, then your only option is to backup that data and erase the whole drive, convert it to GPT and install Windows in UEFI mode, which is the best way anyway.

11. efes34

efes34 MDL Senior Member

Nov 17, 2009
    I solved same problem use to xp cd. Make a new partition (not format) and shut down

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...