unable to update to 1909

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sulveras, Nov 16, 2019.

1. sulveras

sulveras MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2017
    hi,
    i have windows 10 Pro x64 activated with kms and I can't get the feature update to 1909 through windows update.
    It always ends in error 0x80004005. Same thing happened while also trying to get to 1903 (note, windows update seems to work normally for other updates apart from feature updates).
    I've also tried through windows update assistant, troubleshooter, media creation tools and various solutions found by googling this error.
    Is there a way to get the 1909 or possibly upgrade or change my windows version without formatting and losing my app settings?

2. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Feature updates via Windows Update will fail on chopped / crippled / "tweaked" systems.
    That's why you should boot from installation media / troubleshooting mode instead.

- download the 1909 ISO / create a 1909 ISO with media creation tool
    - make a new folder - example: D:\ISO or C:\ISO if not having multiple drives/partitions
    - double-click the ISO file (it is going to be mounted as a new drive)
    - copy all files from ISO to the new folder you have created
    - restart your PC in troubleshooting mode (keep Shift key pressed and click Restart on the Start Menu - Power)
    - at the Choose an option boot menu, select Troubleshoot - Advanced options - Command Prompt
    - at the Command Prompt, enter: D:\ISO\sources\setup (or C:\ISO\sources\setup depending on what folder you have made)
    - follow setup instructions as usual

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. secgeek

secgeek MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2018
    Install KB4524569 before updating to 1909.

It is the latest servicing stack update which would probably solve your problem.

You can find this file in Windows Update Catalog.

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  5. sulveras

sulveras MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2017
    sorry, but there is no command prompt when i get into troubleshoot mode and when i boot from the ISO and try to use the upgrade option i get a "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is not of the GPT partition style" error

i tried to install it and i get a "cannot be installed with this windows version" error (can't remember the exact phrasing, i tried a bunch of stack updates i found in windows update catalog

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    On what exact build are you now?

7. sulveras

sulveras MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2017
    Windows 10 Pro, Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.864)

8. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...