Unable to view chinese characters

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SupremeSabre, Aug 10, 2011.

1. SupremeSabre

SupremeSabre MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2010
    I'm sure many of us have encountered this problem....

When downloading programs or files from China/Taiwan/HK sources it seems that they use a totally different text encoding. I tried applying SP1 chinese lang pack(both simplified and traditional), and changing display language. But it did not work. Things like song details, installers and notepad files still display gibberish. Is it because I was using english when I saved the file into my hard disk? Is there any way to solve this problem other than installing a Chinese version Windows 7?

Thanks

2. danny3456

danny3456 MDL Member

Aug 22, 2009
  3. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    No, not really. The only thing that you might come across is with the installation of certain applications that offer multiple language options. Setting your location / formats to a language other than English, might cause those installers use Chinese instead. To test this out, download, extract (no need to install) VLC. When you start the program, you can check whether it sets its default language to English or Chinese. Of course, you may change it back to English via the options menu - but not all programs I come across offer this functionality...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SupremeSabre

SupremeSabre MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Thanks! I will keep that in mind whenenver I install anything. But for now I'll keep the locale as Chinese, since i use too many Chinese resources...