Unable to write bios using CH341 too--is my bios chip write protected?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by paredown, Mar 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. paredown

paredown MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2015
    #1 paredown, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    Cross posted on Bios Mods where there doesn't seem to be much activity.

Well I'm now 0 for 2 after years of flashing everything without problems.

This time it is an AOpen DEX4501 (Core 2 Duo, conventional AMI bios 2.61; latest version of Bios from Aopen is R. 1.07 /2009). I had it set up with a temporary power supply, and right after the bios was erased (flashing from DOS) the power cut out.

So it appears I have an erased bios--at least when I read it with the CH341a tool. However, the tool can't identify the actual bios chip, and gives a Code 25 "Write timed out" if you try to program it. (Tried the various versions of the software up to 1.34 (which did the least since it it can't ID the chip, it won't let you go any farther). Because it couldn't ID chip, I tried both the "Common" and a 25x16 settings.

I also tried using the ASProgrammer and again--it can't ID chip, but does seem to read and confirm that it is erased (blank check), but when I try to program it just sits, and when I finally cancel I get the message "Possible Protection is enabled". (It does show as a chip choice in the ASProgrammer.) ASProgrammer also does that little initial "write" step (that I don't understand) to start the automated flash procedure, and it sticks on that as well-"Abort" gets you the same message for each of the steps of the automated prcess.

I tried this using power on the board, tool alone, cmos battery in and out, and cmos jumper in both positions and different chip setting as noted--no joy in any combination.

So chip deets:

Bios chip is Winbond 25x16AV -- data sheet is online, and does seem to suggest that there is some write protection, but again, I am out of my depth in trying to understand the technical details of the chip description.

Any experts who can help me out?

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    strange 1.. never had that issue.
    i would get cheapo ezp019 as spare if u do this often but it doesnt work with other softwares that i know of.