Uncommon versions of Windows 98

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Threat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    #1 Threat, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    Were there any other editions of Windows 98 or 98SE released?

By other editions I mean other than upgrade/retail/oem?

I know back many years ago I had a version of Windows 98SE that in MSINFO said "Clean install using Select CD". I don't have the original CD of this now. It still required a product key but they were different from retail or OEM keys (would not accept them)

h t t p: / / w w w . msfn.org/board/topic/86212-product-type-of-windows-959898seme/

Also this entry 100 - Clean install using Microsoft Internal - This was a build that was used internally by Microsoft employees. I know lots of people changed the settings in an INI file to fake this build as it did not ask for a product key. I had (infact still have!) the genuine Microsoft build of Windows 98 (First Edition) on a Microsoft branded Windows CD-R. I was at Uni back in those days and a mate of mine worked for Microsoft sent it less than a week after the files were built - and long before any "warez" type release appeared. So was wondering if any of those builds ever leaked out?

2. WinDev

WinDev MDL Expert

Jul 6, 2013
    I have next discs and floppies of Windows 98.

These versions are downloaded from WinWorldPC and they are legit.

untitled.jpg

3. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    Yeah I saw them - but I never saw a leak of the Microsoft Internal versions, or the SEL version again. Did they ever get posted?

Would be interested to see Win98SE in those forms.

4. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    Unfortunatly I don't have access to there FTP (not a member there)

Those are beta's - I'm actually referring to unusual versions of the RTM build - ie my Windows 98 "Microsoft Internal" was the 1998 RTM build. Actually could you post a list/screenshot of the Windows 98 versions of betaarchive FTP of the RTM builds ?

5. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    Yeah those are the ones - I see there was a select Swedish in the list - but can't see any English select versions.

Any still no internal versions - guess those never leaked out to public.

6. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Yea that's their full list of 98 on the FTP, and if its not there, 99% likely that it never leaked to begin with

7. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    99% of the files on BetaArchive have been modified, so useless for collectors.

8. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    As one would really expect.

I found a thread over there from end of last year somebody asked about them - and some reply saying no proof they existed lol. I also read the an SE version did leak by the group PWA (Pirated With Attitude) but seems my FE is unseen. I guess it's too late to enter the warez release race for 98 builds :D

Anyone got any info on the PWA 98SE release (not to be confused with a PWA FE release which was not an internal version)?

9. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    There is a FE 98 which has a file called msbatch.inf, meaning serial is auto inserted. Only ever seen it for FE, not for SE or TE

No idea if this is an internal version or not. No boot for it.

10. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    Nah that was one of the many "hacks"