Understanding my options for Windows 7 Activation

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Side.Step.Society, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Side.Step.Society

Side.Step.Society MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2010
    Greetings all,

I've been lurking these forums for awhile, finally signed up and this is my first post, as I'm sure you can tell. I'm trying to understand my options for activating a little better.

Basically, I've got four computers. Two desktops and two laptops, each of course running 7 Ultimate. The desktops are an older computer, from around 2000ish(I think?), and a Mac mini from 2006, dual booting with OS X of course. Both of the laptops are Dells. One is a Dell Inspiron 6400 from 2006, and the other is a Dell mini 10v from just a couple of months ago, which is running Snow Leopard as well.

Right now, my understanding is the Dell mini 10v is the most "bulletproof" from becoming "unactivated" by SP1/WinACT whenever it should come around. I'm planning ahead I guess.

For the 10v, if I recall correctly, I ran Daz' Windows 7 Loader and installed using the "Advanced Options". This is the part where I begin to get confused. Is this "Advanced Options" process modyfing my BIOS and thus making my Dell Mini 10v "bulletproof" (I use the term loosely)? Or does something else need to be done?

Basically, I'd like to have a BIOS mod on all four systems, but I'm not really sure where to begin, especially with the older desktop and my Mac mini.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris.

2. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    nothing is bullet proof. well unless you own a retail cops but even then people are having issues. if you want a bios mod post in the correct request thread for that model.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    OEM:SLP activation consists of three parts:

-SLIC2.1 BIOS which says (for example) "I'm a dell I'm licenced for Win7"
    -A certificate that matches the BIOS
    -OEM:SLP product key (which tells Windows to check the BIOS against the cert). Dell will use the same SLP key on all the machines they sell (with a different key for starter, home pre, professional, ultimate), making it impossible to blacklist the key.

If the 10v shipped with Windows 7 (eg: starter or home premium), it has the licenced BIOS already. This BIOS is good for all versions (except enterprise), regardless of what shipped on the machine.

A loader like Daz's simulates a licenced BIOS at boot if you press "soft mod". The "BIOS MOD" section doesn't touch the BIOS, it is for people who have done a BIOS mod, or already have a licenced BIOS (on a machine that shipped with Win7 from Dell, Acer, etc) and just installs the matching certificate and SLP key into Windows. If this is what you've done (as opposed to "soft mod"), it is fairly bullet proof (essentially 100%). If you previously ran the softmod, did you uninstall it first? I think this function of Daz's loader is under used and misunderstood by a lot of people.

I don't know if anyone's done any successful BIOS mods with Mac mini.

What are you running on the other machines right now for "Activation"? As it stands softmods via loaders have not been detected by WGA or WAT since Vista SP1 was released. I'm taking a wait and see approach. The latest WAT update that people made a big deal about had no problems with my 1.7.1 loader installed on my machine.

4. Side.Step.Society

Feb 21, 2010
    #4 Side.Step.Society, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
    (OP)
    @ Armada - I know it's not bulletproof, but BIOS mods are the most "bulletproof" of the bunch. I meant the term loosely.

I realize I could ask on the BIOS mod request forum, but I'd like to understand what has to be done before I ask for someone's time.

@WinFLP - Yep, the 10v shipped with 7 Starter. At first I used Hazar's 7Loader, then a couple of days ago, I uninstalled that, and downloaded Daz' loader. I didn't use the softmod for the 10v.

On the older desktop, I used Hazar's 7Loader as well as on the Mac mini. And today I "converted" the Dell Inspiron to use Daz' loader, although I had to use the softmod for this one. I imagine this is because it shipped with XP, so it won't have an SLIC 2.1 table, correct?

So, if I understand this correctly, BIOS mods are just adding SLIC 2.1 to the computers BIOS and the "Advanced Options" section in Daz' loader simply adds the correct information to the SLIC 2.1 table to "activate" Windows. Does that sound about right?

Thanks again,

Chris.

5. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    if the 10v came with 7 you dont need a loader just pick a key for the version you want to run and install it with the right cert or do a upgrade from starter with the right key and you will never have to worry about it. you install win7 and run 2 commands one to enter the cert and one for the key see the win7 repository for more info but you DO NOT need a loader for that one. why bother using one? you stand more of a chance getting hit with a loader than the actual bios that came with the machine

for the mac not sure post the bios for use to look at

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    The BIOS mod option under the advanced options of Daz's loader will install the correct key and cert into Windows for you, without the Grub loader, which is good if you don't like wasting time finding the correct cert and entering command line commands. It does not touch the physical BIOS.

And as armada said you can upgrade from 7starter just by entering the SLP key for a higher version into anytime upgrade.

7. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
  8. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    i did my 4 year old was yelling lol. sorry. but yeah then as i said just use the right cert and key for any version on the 10v

9. Side.Step.Society

Feb 21, 2010
    Yeah, I've already got Ultimate running on the 10v, like I said, I'm just looking to make sure they stay activated (as much as possible).

I had used the loader when I first installed Ultimate on the 10v cause I was unaware of any other methods but have uninstalled it now and am just using a certificate and serial via Daz Loader.

I'm still a little confused about BIOS modding. Daz Loader installed a certificate and serial in Windows 7, like NoJuan999 stated, so, is there any need to do a BIOS mod on this laptop or am I understanding this wrong? Does a certificate and serial need to be added/installed/modified in my BIOS as well?

And regarding the Mac mini, it uses EFI, so I'm not even sure where to begin with that, but we'll save that for later. I'm more focused on understanding it with a regular PC first, then going from there.

Thanks everyone for all the help!
    Chris.

10. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    the 10v you will not have to worry about. no on the 10v you have NO need to mod your bios

11. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    NO!!!

Certificate and product key are only installed in Windows, NOT in the hardware FULL STOP. SLIC BIOS tables is all there is to the hardware side, and your 10v came from the factory with that already. Wiping and reinstalling the OS won't impact this. Your 10v should be fully activated and "bulletproof"

IIRC with some Apples they actually boot faster WITH a loader than they do without (compared to a genuine retail install).

12. Side.Step.Society

Feb 21, 2010
    Excellent! It's all starting to make sense now. So I was under the right impression that the BIOS mod was just to add SLIC 2.1. Perfect.

Now, onto the Dell Inspiron. This one is currently using a Loader. It came with XP Media Center so I imagine I'll have to do a BIOS mod on this one, correct?

13. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    correct you will have to add 2.1 to that one i can look at it for you or you can post in the request section.

14. Side.Step.Society

Feb 21, 2010
    Sure, if you're willing to help, I'd really appreciate it if you could look at it for me/help me with it. It'll help me learn a little more about the whole process. :D

I imagine the first thing I'll have to do is uninstall the loader?

Thanks a bunch!
    Chris.

15. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    first thing we need to see is the bios the untouched download from dell. post a link and then i can see what type it is unless you know. if its a phoenix we will need whats called a rw report and i can post instructions on how to do that its really easy. if we need a rw report yes you will need to remove the loader before going any further. but all in all in the end you will remove the loader anyway with the modded bios.

16. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
  17. Side.Step.Society

Feb 21, 2010
    Excellent! Flashed the BIOS, updated the SLIC, now the Inspiron is activated! Thanks so much! Would I come off as greedy if I asked about the older computer now? :p

18. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    you mean the mac mini? i have not done any of those but i can look at it. if im unsure you can post it in the request area.

19. Side.Step.Society

Feb 21, 2010
    Nope, I'll read a little more into the Mac mini.

I meant the older PC I have. From somewhere in 2000-2002.