understanding oem:slp activation

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by theateist, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theateist

theateist MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2010
    I have hdx18t notebook from HP.
    Originally Vista was installed in my notebook. I installed a fresh Windows 7(cracked) instead of Vista.

I read in Wiki how SLP works:
    "Operating systems that use SLP check for a particular text string in a computer's BIOS upon booting. If the text string does not match the information stored in the particular installation's OEM BIOS files, the user is prompted to activate his or her copy as normal"
    1 - what text string it checks? what it contains? some kind of combination of key and something else?
    2 - Assume I was supplied with an installation disc from HP. Is this disk good only for my notebook? I mean, does it has any information that particular good for my notebook?

Thank you

2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    #2 sam3971, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
    What is is referring is a software license information table in the bios. When you get a computer with Vista your bios already has the software license information table(SLIC) 2.0 in it but in order to validate windows 7 the same way you have to have SLIC 2.1 which is just like 2.0 only updated. A simple bios mod will do it for you. Then you install a matching certificate that would go with that particular slic 2.1 table. Those 2 together will tell windows that you would be activated like an OEM shipped computer but you also need a SLP key(Can get them and the certs here as well). That is basically how companies like HP, Dell, ext send pre-activated systems. This same system has been in place since the XP days as well. Now, if you need a bios mod I can attempt to make you one. You can also use a loader(Windows 7 Loader by Daz) or other cracks to activate your copy but a bios mod is the most solid. I hope that clears things up for you dude.

Update: Basically to make things easier, you need these three components to activate Windows 7 like a legit OEM.
    1. Slic 2.1 in your bios(Like I said, real easy to do if you want to take the risk)
    2. A matching Certificate
    3. An OEM Slp key that goes to your version(I recommend you to use the one that matches your slic manufacture as well)

Loaders and Cracks:
    Now a so called Loader(GRUB/Daz Windows 7 loader) actually emulates Slic 2.1 and installs the matching Certificate and OEM Slp key(Passes WAT for now as well)(Almost exactly to bios mod OEM activation only emulated instead of being physical)

Programs like Chew7/RemoveWAT/DeathWat tinkers with system files to think it is activated instead of Slic emulation(As of now these do not pass WAT forever)

IR4 by Timesurfer is a simple program that lets you reset the ReArms from back to 4 so you can keep re-arming your windows every month forever. (You must do reinstall this one every 5 months to reset the re-arm process)(This one does pass WAT as of now)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Cyrillkk

Cyrillkk MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2010
    The loader is used for the purpose as above said.

4. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Restore discs are frequently made for a specific model. They will contain model specific drivers, etc. Usually the recovery process will check that it's the correct model, and refuse to install otherwise.

If it's a plain Installation disc (I've seen these with older dells, and with some business HP's), it's a normal install disc, just with the cert and key for that brand. It will install on another brand, but it won't activate.

5. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    That is true but one must also have the matching Slic for that CD.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Which is why I said

7. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    IK dude, I was just trying to clarify it lol. :p