Uninstal Networking Stack

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dreamydreamy, Jan 29, 2020.

1. dreamydreamy

dreamydreamy MDL Junior Member

Dec 25, 2019
    Guys im looking for a easy way to permanently remove the whole network stack. Either from an installed windows or using dism to modify the iso.

Id like to completely remove all the layers. Or at least the main ones.

2. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    If u remove the network stack u cant connect to nothing what is point in that?

3. dreamydreamy

Dec 25, 2019
    #5 dreamydreamy, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    (OP)
    Ill play music, videos, games, all locally off a usb hard drive as i always have. :) Its just now ill probably use linux to go online and download stuff to my media library.

If im forced to use win 10, its not going online, not going to let monopolistic microsoft win. They did everything to prevent me from running windows 7 on my new laptop, so i say screw them.

4. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I do not explain some network basic, what you describe are parts of the "network stuck". And even if you remove it from the adapter interface it's still there (drivers/registry/etc). You can't uninstall the network stack, you can uninstall the network interfaces, but for what exactly?

Windows only loads the components at the time they're been used, unless it's e.g. driver which is requested. In your case "removing the network stack" would imply that you remove drivers as well as services (IP Helper etc) too. Which is not easy, you can stop those services might remove some drivers, but other components are requested in order to boot Windows like afs.sys.

You do not need it, nor does remove components is a "migration". Disabling it is enough, just right click on the network interface e.g. My-Wifi and disable it, Windows then do not load the components unless explicitly enabled or requested.

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    You could go into your bios and disable your network devices from there without going through all that other crap

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Windows uses big parts of the network stack for process intercommunication. In fact, a lot. Removing the network stack would make you very unhappy, indeed.

7. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    u best bet disable it inside bios settings and your good to go.

8. dreamydreamy

Dec 25, 2019
    @CHEF-KOCH
    Id like to remove as much as is possible, everything including the driver. I dont want win 10 going online by some accidental click, thats why id like to rip out everything possible in regards to networking. Id simply disable the network card in bios, but i need it to work for the second os (linux) which i will actually use for the internet. Basically im trying to setup a win 10 + linux dual boot. But deny the internet to win 10.

@Carlos Detweiller
    Interesting, I didnt know windows uses the networking stack internally. Can you tell me which parts i can remove and still remain mostly functional?

Edit: Id like to remove the driver layer, and at least one other layer, if removing the whole stack is impossible.

@MS_User
    @Joe C

Guys I wish i could just disable it in the bios, but i need my network card to remain functional when booting into linux, where ill actually be going online.

9. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    Why would you do that, just don't connect to internet while using Windows, disable network adapter.
    No need to remove the networking stack.

10. bonesz

bonesz MDL Addicted

Jun 30, 2013
    Bit of over kill, or paranoia if you ask me, there are many things you can do to limit callbacks and telemetry. It amazes me that people will use an obsolete version of Windows that does not offer any updates security or otherwise than upgrade to Windows 10. I think people should be more concerned with Google and Facebook and their data mining monopolies. If your that paranoid by all means install and use Linux but rest assured that there are also call backs and telemetry in use on that platform. Or you can run Windows in a vm without networking.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    People are worried about data collecting on Windows 10 but NSA can see everything on your PC even when it is off thanks to Intel ME (and AMD PSP?).
    It does not matter what OS you use, as long as you are connected to the internet they can see everything that you are doing on the PC, but when you are using Linux you are at least not letting Microsoft collect your data too.

12. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
  13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  14. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    As an easy example, modern Windows has userspace separation. Services cannot communicate with the Desktop directly, beginning with Vista. As direct result, all Services now communicate over local TCP/IP connections (127.0.0.1 ones or, more recently, IPv6 Link Local Addresses fe80:://).

And who (except Ms) knows what else. Removing the Network Stack completely is a baaad idea. Note that even removing the NIC will keep intercommunication going, as MS localhost adaptor is virtual.

If you want to be fully offline, disable the NIC or unbind network protocols. For LAN-only, block the NIC Mac in the router, most offer that.

15. Or if you have a wireless router and you have an ethernet connection to it, simply disable that and keep the wireless for any other devices you may have. This was my own idea before and it wouldn't hurt if I shared it here (and of course a less technical way to keep yourself offline from your own system).

16. dreamydreamy

Dec 25, 2019
    #18 dreamydreamy, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    (OP)
    @°ツ
    Its about doing what you can. I could easily disable the network from within windows, but i figured theres more that i can do.

Microsoft wants to force adware/spyware on us, we have to resist as much as is possible. Coming from win 7, im honestly shocked how bad its gotten. I remember "adgator" that came bundled with free divx back in the day, and i thought that was bad lol :)

@bonesz
    I am concerned about google, facebook. (and now microsoft)

People like me would run windows 7 because i do not want adware/spyware to officially be a part of my os. Id rather have dangerous freedom, and possibly get infected by malware, rather then outright consenting to microsofts official malware.

@CHEF-KOCH
    I have considered using firewalls/pi-hole and all that related stuff. But honestly its like this, no matter what i do, it doesnt seem like enough, i dislike that microsoft has the gall to do this to its loyal customers. I spent alot of my freetime going back to chilhood "exploring" windows/dos, and this is how they repay that lifelong loyalty.

I think the only way id be ok with having w10, is if the adware/spyware is not only blocked, but actually removed. I found a website that claims to do just that, they posted a massive script for doing this, im slowly studying it to verify its not some kind of malware loader lol.

Edit: By the way you said "no one would use the OS anymore." People have no choice but to use w10, i would of happily chosen win 7 even with its security/performance/EOL issues, but microsoft has pressured companies into not releasing drivers and removing CSM. I have been denied beautiful win 7 aero, although i guess the beautiful is relative to the viewer. :)

@Carlos Detweiller
    Unfortunately I cant block the mac address, i need my linux install to be able to get online. (Dual boot)
    Can you offer up more info on unbinding the network protocol in windows?

@Bryn89
    Sorry, i didnt understand your suggestion. Are you saying that i should disable the wireless router, to deny windows acces to wifi, but use ethernet to manually connect when i switch to linux? or?

sorry i dont think i understood?

Basically my situation is this: Dual boot system, windows + linux. I want only linux to have internet access.

17. You would probably just disable the ethernet/wireless connection (or network adapter) under the Windows partition only. I don't know much about dual-booting so I guess someone can give a better answer than I can.

18. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    Open your NIC adaptor settings and uncheck both IPv4 and IPv6.

There might be an even easier method.

1. Switch off IPv6 completely (or switch off autoconfiguration of IPv6 addresses/DNS servers/Gateways.
    2. Turn off the DHCP server inside the router (no automatic distribution of network settings).
    3. Either, configure IPv4 addresses only on the systems that should access the net. Alternatively, provide IPv4 addresses to all PCs (manually), but do not enter the Gateway address if the machine should stay LAN-only. That's what I always did.