Unique issue, can delete files in an old XP directory but can't read or copy.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rbrooks8, Jan 2, 2010.

1. rbrooks8

rbrooks8 MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2010
    This is weird.

My Dell media center PC shipped with the upgrade disc for Vista but I never used it. Here a week or so ago, I got some nasties which I had a hard time dealing with, so I made the call to install Vista to a new spare 80gb OEM drive I had and to slave the original XP-loaded C: drive to extract the data.

All went pretty well except for dealing with the usual permissions issues in Vista. I worked my way through most of them, made use of takecontrolof which I got at this site, and generally had no issue with getting to most of my data.

However, there is one folder that I can't figure out. It's an old Limewire folder in E:\Documents and Settings\User\Shared. A few hundred MP3 files are in there.

I've used Takecontrolof, which said it was a success, but I'm unable to play, cut, or copy any of the MP3 files. In command prompt, however, I can DELETE them!

I've got no idea of what condition would lead to being allowed deletion but denied access to read. I've used the Security tab in Vista to take ownership of the actual folder, but it won't propagate to the files below. I believe I've been able to individually click an MP3 and use the security tab, but there's no way I'm going to be able to do each individual file, it will take days.

If this was just listening music it would be one thing, but these are practice material for the several bands that I'm in and having to start over would be catastrophic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I would try booting from a PE cd and then see if you casn delete them.

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    He does NOT want to delete anything, he wants to play them!

sebus