Universal MediaCreationTool wrapper script - create Windows 11 media with automatic bypass

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by AveYo, Sep 25, 2021.

1. MDeaks

MDeaks MDL Member

Aug 25, 2017
  2. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Clean installing ProWS is not supported by media made by this script or by official mct, only by iso download. So if you want a fresh install, download the 11 iso.
    Upgrading ProWS keeping files and apps works with any type of media (consumer or business, made by this script, by official mct or by iso download). Just run setup, it will detect ProWS and install it even if not in the indexes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #63 Enthousiast, Apr 7, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    Yeah, in the past you could upgrade all business* indexes by using a Pro SKU index/ISO (staying on the same SKU as before upgrading) but is it still accurate, we know we can now upgrade sku's by ISO so when selecting pro during the upgrade it should now install pro, or do i have to test with a consumer ISO which doesn't have the ei.cfg to enable to select SKUs at upgrade?

* means all except home (sl).

4. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Yes. And the example is vanilla - no scripts, plain mct consumer media, setup.exe, ProWS upgrade works fine.

6. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    #68 AveYo, Apr 7, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    (OP)
  7. MDeaks

MDeaks MDL Member

Aug 25, 2017
    #69 MDeaks, Apr 8, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    Hello Everyone;
    Firstly > thanks again to everyone >> for some of the MOST AMAZING tools AND info here in these FORUMS::
    So, found some very interesting things/surprises with "windows" and its different version / iterations .....

a)so using the Public version -results = no win11 for workstation even (gotten win11 with that xbox thingies , which i hate hate hate !!)
    b) testing using the win11pro(above) to do a SET SCRIPT (database re-config>> to test the MAX capacity of intel pro. ..... it shows its not WORKSTATION << more proved that it wasn't using the FULL intel's capacity>

>>thus I ended up using the MCT TOOL (done here) and using that to generate a ISO via the file of OEM win11Wkstn (downloaded from OEM website)
    ran the above test __ yip it shows the difference << time to complete task was like 5 times LESS - more in the PRO ONLY>>

I can tell you it worked nicely > so thanks to all users who did that <especially bau* + enth*>
    Pls let me know if I can DONATE somewhere relevant for your guys help<be glad to>

8. MDeaks

MDeaks MDL Member

Aug 25, 2017
    #70 MDeaks, Apr 8, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    @BAU* >> sine I am lessthan a novice for MDL or ANY WINDOWS files ; I have greatest appreciated of things I see here<awesome for this lazy Structural Engineer>
    I did mange to get the OEM WORKSTATION <<series of files from OEM> than used MCT tools and other TOOLS here > to generate a OEM WIN11 WORKSTATION .iso file.

To my surprise ; I kinda look at an old old windows 7 Enterprise ISO ; also looked at Win10 Server ISO > downloaded from forms here....
    got me thinking few things >> in short.. I created a ei.cfg file, saying version = workstation in the OEM ISO >> wahlah ! > worked nicely and tested very nice...((still wy to lazy to read lots of pages to see how/why/what ei.cfg does..lol, but than it goes for like 1000s of other tools here))

So now I have a GO TO 'iso file" to use....

*edited*<<corrected typos only>>

9. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
  10. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    @Enthousiast

Is there any special entry I need to put in ei.cfg when installing Windows 11 to get an option for Pro for Workstations? I only get to see Education, Pro, Pro N but not Pro for workstations.

This is how my ei.cfg looks like:

Code:
    [Channel]
    _Default
    [VL]

PS: I am wanting to install the retail version of Windows 11 Pro for Workstations not volume license, not sure what that [VL] means

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    That's the generic one, but it won't enable you to install a SKU that is not present in the ISO.

There is no difference other than the VolumeLicense is pre-inserted, but whatever key (retail/oem/VL) or activation method you use will work on both.

12. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    I was just talking about this subject, refresh the page. You can't magically make an entry appear if it's not in the source media (MCT only offers those on clean install).
    You can force a specific edition even if not present in the source media, but only for upgrades.

13. stephr1

stephr1 MDL Junior Member

Jun 2, 2012
    #75 stephr1, Apr 9, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    I'm getting to the point of considering an upgrade from Win 10 Pro to Win 11 (whatever the equivalent is). Recently did a backup of my Win 10 HD just in case I get brave enough sometime soon 8^(

Pardon what may seem like a dumb question....Does the media creation tool automatically create the media on a thumb drive (which sounds like a "duh" moment as I read that question back)? and then it also gets the upgrade going? Or do I need to create the media and use the tool to modify the configuration for what I want and then I initiate the upgrade (this last part was how I remember upgrading to Win 10)?

Thx in advance....

14. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Well, it's literally in the name: Media Creation Tool - it creates the media out of files it downloads from MS' servers.

I've rarely used it, but, as I remember, it gives you the choice of creating an ISO (for DVD/BD), a thumb drive, or simply a directory with the ready-to-run installation files.

15. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    #77 AveYo, Apr 9, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    (OP)
    It's all in the first post, along with description for the presets the script provides. Script offers a choice of windows version (previous 10 ones, and 11), then:
    Auto Upgrade : one-click and MCT downloads source from ms, creates media files (in C:\$WINDOWS.~WS\Sources\Windows) and then script starts upgrade directly (via auto.cmd upgrade enhancement)
    Auto ISO : MCT makes an iso in the same directory from where you run the script (if possible, else script presets C:\ESD)
    Auto USB : MCT asks for the USB target (only semi-automated for data safety), then creates the media and that's all; you would have to start setup.exe (or better, auto.cmd) from the thumb drive yourself
    Select : MCT asks everything, from Edition, Language, Arch (unlike all above detecting your current one). To making ISO or USB
    MCT Defaults : MCT runs natively without script assistance, same as Select except no files are added to the media (like auto.cmd, 11 bypass or an ei.cfg / pid.txt) i.e. vanilla, except it can select business (Enterprise) in the GUI

16. stephr1

Jun 2, 2012
    I told you it was a "duh" moment, but thanks for responding in spite of that :)

17. stephr1

Jun 2, 2012
    Thank you for more detailed info.

I noticed the options in the .bat file itself, but wasn't sure what to make of them. The best part of this is it sounds like it's pretty straightforward to do an upgrade from Win 10. Just so I'm clear, since I have Win 10 Pro will it upgrade to Win 11 Pro automatically and is there anything I specifically have to do for the UEFI, secure boot, TPM bypass options (maybe this line "Script creates media that will automatically skip clean install checks" answers this?)?

Time to go back and read a bit more :)

Appreciate the help....cheers....