Universal MediaCreationTool wrapper script - create Windows 11 media with automatic bypass

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by AveYo, Sep 25, 2021.

1. seppwurzel

seppwurzel MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2015
    Thank you very much for this - I used it on an "unsupported" laptop and it worked perfectly. The Win 11 ISO generation works great as well, however the USB stick creation for the Windows 11 option created a Windows 10 install drive for me - not Windows 11.

I repeated it twice and both times the setup from the USB drive (and also when booting from the USB drive) was a Windows 10 installation.

I haven't had a chance to look into the script yet as I think there is just a wrong CAB file specified somewhere.

Nevertheless - fantastic work and thank you very much!

2. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Thank you all for the kind words.

There is life after Windows 11 release :)

As you all know, MediaCreationToolW11.exe has lost the built-in capability to upgrade, and more importantly for this script, /CreateUpgradeMedia (no longer works).
    Microsoft might do the same with 21H2+ so I'm going to redesign the script around that.
    I've already done some mockups with ui automation to click the buttons in the gui.
    Tried my best to do it without sendkeys, but it's near impossible because of the modal dialogs and non-working events in powershell 2.0 native that I still want to support.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sedahs

sedahs MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2014
    I could use some help upgreading if possible?
    So, i'm running an Enterprise version of Windows 10 and the tool won't upgrade it. The script just quits without loading the setup. I have run the v2 TPM script ok, that works fine.
    If I try manually running /MCT/MediaCreationTool11.exe, it runs the checks, says "Getting a few things ready" I accept the agreement notice, I see the "Getting a few things ready"
    I try "Upgrade this PC now" and then I get "This tool can't upgrade your PC The language or edition of Windows currently installed on your PC isn't supported by this tool"
    I'm just using US English with Australian language installed, I am sure it's not this. I think it's the version of Enterprise I have. I'm not running BitLocker or anything else.

Edition Windows 10 Enterprise
    Version 21H1
    Installed on ‎2021/‎07/‎05
    OS build 19043.1266
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770S CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz
    Installed RAM 32.0 GB
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Any ideas?

4. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Guess it's too late now and you've probably already tried ISO / official MCT / Installation Assistant, but maybe try the updated script from today.
    In other news, completed refactoring around 11 MCT (via ui automation because needed launch options no longer work) for older versions as well
    Also added a new boot bypass for all setup checks (even blacklisted hardware that the registry keys do not help with).
    Without it, I could not clean install 11 in VirtualBox on my 3770k z77 system, so if other bypasses for clean installs have not worked for you so far, this one should do it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  6. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    bump because awesome

7. Jaydenmark

Jaydenmark MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2021
    It did a great job of creating the Windows 11 ISO with the Win10 setup and skip patches.
    It was originally installed in Virtualbox for testing, and it worked perfectly with a local account that was fully updated with the latest version (22000.194)
    I then added the.VHD file to my Windows 10 Boot Manager, and it appears to be working properly with all of my drivers installed and enabled.
    My system was created in 2014 and features a Corei7 3770 processor, H77 gigabyte motherboard, 16GB of RAM, secureboot disabled, and no TPM card installed.
    Of course, before fully migrating to Win11, I'll be checking it out for a while. Thanks again, this script saved me a lot of time and effort.

8. n4ken

n4ken MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2008
    =======================================================================================
    Hi and a big thanks for your time.

First off I'm on Windows 10 Pro. Tons of hard drive space etc. All updates applied no system problems at all. The USB is fine but I've tried others already.
    I I already have a Windows 11 system which was a bit of a faff getting the usb to boot. The ISO for some reason was not bootable despite it showing as bootable. So lots of extracting boot image and writing it to a new image and adding files etc. This why I attracted to this script which promised an easy way to download, convert to skip tpm and finally to burn to ISO, CD or USB. But as often happens the easy way can sometimes turn into a real pain and waste of lots of time. If I run the MediaCreation tool direct from MS it works fine bur from within the script it hangs and shows no progress. For the purpose of this exercise my antivirus etc is turned off everything else works fine. I'm an experienced user with many years under my overhanging belly. I also used to do some light programming but this batch file is way too deep and complex for me to trawl through and understand.
    So any further tips about getting it to run. Command line switches or other options anything at all that might help.

Once again I appreciate yout time and help.
    n4ken

9. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
  10. Bill_Boquet

Bill_Boquet MDL Junior Member

Feb 5, 2012
    #30 Bill_Boquet, Nov 23, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    @BAU : I decided only recently to test Windows 11 on non compatible hardware. Browsing internet, your great solution was immediately spotted in several threads with a common consensus from the users : it is working flawlessly. At least 2 french sites made a tutorial available to help basic users. In summary, your work is praised everywhere on the net !

I tested your solutions twice, first to upgrade a 10 years old machine from Windows 10 to 11, second to install a Windows 11 VM on my regular PC with a non compatible processor. Both with the french version of the OS. No headache, no cumbersome operations, it worked straight from A to Z.

Thanks for your great work and be assured that many people over the world count on your enthusiasm to further support your tool. I discovered by accident this thread on MDL. It is indeed not so popular, but you have to consider that the early adopters have already used another brute force approach, while the bulk of users (like me) are waiting a few months to let the dust settle. Therefore and as a conclusion, the future of your tool is bright ;-).

11. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Since 22509 is already problematic, decided to switch bypassing method to the /Product Server trick.
    It's only in effect if running included auto.cmd from media. Running setup.exe will not bypass checks.
    If you can't stand Windows Server label - sorry. I'm not gonna keep experimenting with unreliable methods just to workaround a label.

Skip_TPM_Check_on_Dynamic_Update.cmd v6 - adding /Product Server launch option on-the-fly (via a bit more complicated code - the ifeo escaping part, since a symlink would fail),
    so the resulting compatibility report is complete ("proper") and windows update (for dev builds) will complete at the first attempt.
    And it still works for setup.exe as well, so you can just use it directly with original media downloaded from microsoft, without even adding a bypass to it.

12. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    bump since it fell to the 3rd page ;)

13. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I'll help too :biggrin:

14. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    Me too !

15. KeizerHalil

KeizerHalil MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2011
    bump cus awesome

16. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    No more Bumps. thanks ancestor(v)
    I used this tool a couple times
    very handy when need Windows ISO

17. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
  18. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
  19. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    It may need Secure Boot to be turned on also if not