Unknown (USB) Device .....

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DeathStalker77, Jan 20, 2014.

1. DeathStalker77

DeathStalker77 MDL Addicted

Nov 8, 2009
    :mad:

Ok, somewhere along the line (prior to my oldest restore point), I "acquired" and Unknown Device in Device Manager - now I know *normally* you can determine what it is by the Hardware & Vendor IDs.

Unfortunately, this one has 0000 for each of them. I know it is *something* USB, but can't seem to get any addition info on it :(

It's not something old that is no longer present, as deleting it only results in it trying to re-install itself (and failing).

Any help would REALLY be appreciated. I've also run SFC and it returned no issues.

Thanks!

2. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    It might be useful to get a spec sheet for the computer and check the list of devices with the Device Manager list.
    I once had a similar issue with a D630
    turned out to be a smartcard reader
    which I never knew existed till I went thru the process

I've still never used it
    but at least I got rid of the "!"

...T

3. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Have you been messing with any bios settings? You might have turned something on by accident..

4. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    Nope. Not a clue as to what it could be :(

5. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #5 Aninvitedsoul, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    Reinstall Chipset Drivers and update USB driver.Check your computer manufacturer's web.You may also use Driver Genius Professional 11 it

works fin for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ricktendo64

ricktendo64 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2008
    Probably your webcam, this happens allot with built in webcams

7. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    Well, oddly, it turned out to be the USB drive I had set for the exclusive use of ReadyBoost. I happened to remove it and the device was removed as well. I put the drive in another system and it wasn't recognized as a ReadyBoost, so I formatted it, put it back in my system, and was able to re-configure it for ReadyBoost.

Very odd, but not the 1st time RB has screwed up a USB drive on me - it literally "killed" the last drive I used.