[RESOLVED] Getting Windows XP to boot on UEFI Class 3 from modern computers without BSODs

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by UsefulAGKHelper, Dec 25, 2022.

1. UsefulAGKHelper

UsefulAGKHelper MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2021
    #1 UsefulAGKHelper, Dec 25, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. UsefulAGKHelper

Aug 28, 2021
    #2 UsefulAGKHelper, Dec 26, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
    (OP)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gelip

Gelip MDL Member

Feb 28, 2011
  4. we3fan

we3fan MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2020
    @UsefulAGKHelper
    My goal was to check if I can install XP x64 on that PC, I only tried it for 1-2 days.
    That PC is in a box and not used right now, I need to buy a Monitor for it first, so I can't do any tests right now.

5. UsefulAGKHelper

Aug 28, 2021
    #5 UsefulAGKHelper, Jul 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2023
    (OP)
    It seems that making the Mounted Devices of XP making it point to XP partition in real hardware as C: along with it's GUID, makes XP proceed to the device enumeration stage (the stage where all devices of my laptop are detected as unknown devices except the mass storage controllers because I used the backported drivers from XP2ESD).

Unfortunately, it's still stuck in the device enumeration stage (I saw a lot of entries like Video Controller (referring to video card controller) and PCI Device referring to the mass storage controller, and a lot of unknown devices when I checked the XP registry from Windows 11). This means that it's not a 0x7B or 0xA5 BSOD (restart at BSOD crash is enabled), boot debugging is enabled, and NOGUIBOOT is enabled alongside with BOOTLOGO and BOOTLOG.
    I believe that it is the equivalent of the XP boot screen infinite loop.

I have tried to import the same Image back from real hardware to VirtualBox VM to install the drivers of disconnected devices that point to the real hardware. Obviously, I decided to install the standard VGA driver into the device of my laptop's real graphics card (Intel UHD Graphics 620), because I was gonna use FlashBootPro to try to get this to work. But still the same thing.
    Ntbtlog.txt reports that acpi.sys, vgapnp.sys, stornvme.sys and IaNvmeF.sys are loaded alongside other drivers. Theoretically, XP should boot because I Installed the disconnected unknown devices from real hardware from XP's VM so that it would work on real hardware. But instead it's stuck in a boot loop. And If I try to go to Windows 11, it requests that my partitions be repaired because XP was having access to the partitions from my host OS, meaning that it detects the partitions as GPT but it's still stuck in a boot loop.

To find the root of the problem, minidumps should be created, but it partially does that as .tmp files.

6. UsefulAGKHelper

Aug 28, 2021
    @Vertaa I managed to get XP to boot with working keyboard but no display thanks to FlashbootPro or Uefiseven with vbemp driver. Now that I restored XP's original VGA driver, XP still works but I can't do anything with just a keyboard and no display. Even tho mouse works. USB 3.0 works properly.

7. UsefulAGKHelper

Aug 28, 2021
    #7 UsefulAGKHelper, Jul 11, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
    (OP)
  8. kocoman

kocoman MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2007
    For those with installed intel igpu video /graphics acceleration that turns the screen blank (laptop) Has anyone fixed their gop/vbt to fix it? Thx
    Has anyone got debugging work for intel gpu drivers? Thx

9. UsefulAGKHelper

Aug 28, 2021
  10. UsefulAGKHelper

Aug 28, 2021
    #12 UsefulAGKHelper, Nov 23, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2023
    (OP)
  11. UsefulAGKHelper

Aug 28, 2021
    #13 UsefulAGKHelper, Nov 23, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2023
    (OP)
  12. Seven4ever

Seven4ever MDL Junior Member

May 16, 2023
    Nice work ;)
    Just a notice: Flashboot can't load winload.efi for W10 / W11 , so forget multibooting them.
    That's why i prefer Uefiseven...
    My settings for bootice and Xp64 Uefi:
    - DisableIntegrityChecks (set to True).
    - DisableBootDisplay (set to True)
    For max resolution on Xp64 , Uefiseven need to be recompiled / patched and Longhorn UEFI loader accordly.

13. UsefulAGKHelper

Aug 28, 2021
    FlashBoot can be used to multiboot if added as an entry in UEFI NVRAM.
    After that when I go to the list of Boot Devices, I choose the "FlashBoot (VGA Emulator)" entry I created to load flashboot.efi instead of the original bootmgfw.efi (this way I can use FlashBoot to boot on XP x64, then I can also boot Windows 11 from the original bootmgfw.efi).

14. Seven4ever

Seven4ever MDL Junior Member

May 16, 2023
    Ok, It's a little bit more complex than my solution, I have a unique Uefi Nvram entry, then a real complete windows mutibooting menu for W11, W10, 7, XP

15. Gelip

Gelip MDL Member

Feb 28, 2011
  16. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    This is already done in XP2ESD. I will PM you soon updated testing ISO. I have free weekend to work on needed things to make sure you receive it with latest POWIS etc.

17. Gelip

Gelip MDL Member

Feb 28, 2011
    OK, Thx. I'm looking forward :cheers:

18. UsefulAGKHelper

Aug 28, 2021