Unresponsive - Boot Device Not Found

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Black Hole, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Black Hole

Black Hole MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2015
    #1 Black Hole, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    UPDATE 9/14/15

Thank you all for the support. Kudos to odiebugs1 for the step by step. Updating to return the knowledge, scroll past to view original post.

HP released many driver updates and a BIOS update in the past few days. These updates may solve the problem, but I opted for a clean install as well. INSYDE BIOS was updated from F.02 to F.16. I updated the BIOS prior to the clean install.

I did a clean install by secure erasing SSD, resetting BIOS/UEFI to default, confirming AHCI is set, and installing OS from bootable USB flash drive.

I formatted both USB flash drives (A and B) to FAT32. You can do this by right clicking on the drive in My Computer, Format, and choosing the FAT32 option.

From Microsoft's website, download the Media Creation tool, follow the instructions to create bootable OS installer on USB flash drive. I created the installer on flash drive A.

I first tried using Samsung Magician to secure erase my SSD. The material would not boot so I used Parted Magic instead. Apparently Parted Magic use to be freeware, but for the most recent version, it's $9. For the quality and many uses of the software, I'm glad to support the developer. I downloaded the software and followed the instructions to make it bootable to flash drive B. From Samsung Magician, I was able to confirm my SSD is using AHCI.

From HP's website, I downloaded the necessary drivers to flash drive B.

With all the tools ready, I restarted my computer and boot from flash drive B. This loaded Parted Magic and I followed the steps to secure erase my SSD. After secure erasing, I restarted and entered the BIOS, pressed F9 to "Setup Defaults" and then F10 to "Save and Exit". The computer restarted and I booted from flash drive A and installed Windows. After Window's installation, I installed all the drivers from flash drive B.

So far, my system hasn't caused any problems. If any veterans would like to comment on any missed steps or better options and enlighten ones like me that are green to this situation, it would be much appreciated. I will report back after some time has passed to see how this has played out.

ORIGINAL POST

Hello MDL, lurker here, this community harbors many great minds and composes a wealth of information..... thank you all for the enlightenment.
    :worthy:

Bought a new HP laptop and upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. Then did a clean install via USB flash drive of Windows 10 Pro. Occasionally my computer would freeze and self restart. Almost always there will be the following message:

I would sometimes get this message on boot up without a prior freeze. Rebooting a couple more times has always eventually gotten me through to the OS. Help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Possible Causes

When I was doing the clean install, I got ahead of myself and deleted all the partitions. Somehow through the installer, I was able to set up new partitions, but remember it not being the same as before. On this matter, I'm not knowledgeable.

Partition Setup: DISK 0

Volume Layout Type File System Status Capacity Free Space % Free
    Simple Basic Healthy (Recovery Partition) 450MB 450MB 100%
    Simple Basic Healthy (EFI System) 100MB 100MB 100%
    (C: ) Simple Basic NTFS Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) 237.92 GB 209.12GB 88%

Laptop only has a SSD (Flash if that makes any difference). When I removed the bottom cover, the SSD was not in the hard drive area, instead it was connected elsewhere and the SSD looked more like a bigger naked flash drive instead of being encased. Could it be that the BIOS is trying to load up something in the empty hard drive area?

Troubleshooting So Far

Updated all drivers
    Made sure boot order loaded SSD first.
    Done both quick and intensive test of the hard drives and memory through the BIOS of which they've all passed.
    Removed the bottom cover of laptop to make sure SSD is firmly connected.

Hardware Information

HP Envy 15t- ae000 CTO (L4R36AV)
    Intel i7-5500U 2.4GHz
    RAM 16GB
    64Bit
    256GB SSD

BIOS: Insyde (version F.02)
    SSD: SAMSUNG MZNTE256HMHP-000H1

2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    It seems you're using UEFI. Disable that in BIOS and use MBR.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    This is such a stupid recommendation i don't even, if you can't help... don't.

@OP, you should have a MSR partition and the recovery partition in W10 should be added at the end. If you do a upgrade, it will create one at the end... so you place it there from the start or you have a worthless recovery partition at the start that isn't used for anything. Not sure if the missing MSR (if you actually miss it) would even be the culprit for your error. You seem to use a pci ssd so it may just be your mainboard firmware or the ssd connection really.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    You need to check HP very carefully for firmware update, UEFI /BIOS update and see if they offer you a secure erase tool, seeing how you can't use Samsung Magician because Samsung doesn't see this OEM drive as a Samsung.

The worst thing ever is a OEM drive, you'll get no support from Samsung.

These drives have a firmware problem, but you'll need to wait until HP feels like passing it on to you.

The best way to install an OS. You secure erase the mSata SSD, then you do a CMOS clear, then reset the UEFI, making sure that AHCI is set by default or enable it. Then you install from a fat32 flash drive and during UEFI post pick boot menu so you pick the flash drive with UEFI. This will create the GPT, you don't have to partition anything.

If you do this and still have problems, you need to contact HP and let them know, they might give you a updated UEFI or contact Samsung for the newest firmware.

5. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    It's impossible to do what you posted. You just can't turn off GPT and switch to MBR.

6. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    It worked for me, in many cases.
    I assumed the HW, in his case, is fine.

P.S. I'd like to know how it worked out in the end.

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  8. Black Hole

Black Hole MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2015

Thanks for the breadcrumbs odiebugs1.

Researching your instructions, I gathered to do both a CMOS clear and UEFI reset, you would need to enter the BIOS settings, press F9 to "Setup Defaults", and F10 to "Save and Exit". Asides from physically tampering with the CMOS, would this accomplish both tasks?

"Then you install from a fat32 flash drive and during UEFI post pick boot menu so you pick the flash drive with UEFI."
    To make sure I understand you correctly: In the BIOS settings, change the 1st boot order to flash drive(fat32) loaded with the OS?

9. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
  10. Black Hole

Black Hole MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2015
    #10 Black Hole, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    (OP)
    Appreciate the clarification odiebugs1 :good3:

How convenient, I was just pushing buttons with Samsung Magician to figure out how to secure erase the SSD. Magician does list the firmware of the SSD, but there is no current firmware listed on Samsung's product page to cross check. Samsung is only offering support for their own SSD line and according to HP's website, firmware will only be available through HP as they have their own custom development within this Samsung SSD. Search of the installed EXT22H0Q firmware yield no results...

In the BIOS, I do not see the option to set default to AHCI. However, according to Samsung Magician under System Information, AHCI mode is ON and SSD is connected to SATA 3 port. Is this enough to confirm settings are correct?

11. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015

You should contact HP and tell them whet you posted, as I said before, Sumsung doesn't support this drive and there are reports of this drive dropping from UEFI, where the system can't see it and it's a firmware problem
    and even if Samsung hasn't given them a update, if you tell them you're having problems with the drive they might contact them for a newer version.

As for it secure erasing :clap:cool now you don't need to try another software.

Yes, that's important, you want to make sure it's in AHCI, so you'll all set as far as UEFI/BIOS.

12. Black Hole

Black Hole MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2015
    Original post updated 9/14/15