Unsupported State message when running Windows XP Starter Edition

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by UltimateGTR, May 8, 2017.

1. UltimateGTR

UltimateGTR MDL Member

Jul 18, 2009
    I tried to run Windows XP Starter Edition in VM recently but all failed with "Unsupported State" message after login and the system will restart itself. Installed on different VM software like VMware and Virtualbox and follow the requirements of Windows XP Starter Edition and limit the RAM to 512MB (also tried 192MB and 256MB), while HDD is 80GB but didn't help.

Does anyone know how to prevent the error occur?
    Thanks!

2017-05-07_190222.png

2. CaffeinePizza

CaffeinePizza MDL Junior Member

May 19, 2013
    Why would you want to run Starter Edition? That seems silly.

3. UltimateGTR

UltimateGTR MDL Member

Jul 18, 2009
    Because I want to find out if there are any updates which are only applicable for Starter Edition and build an fully updated VM of Starter Edition too.

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    IIRC you can mask the CPU in VMWare. Even VirtualBox has a Synthetic CPU feature, although hidden.

But I don't use VMWare, something else would have to answer that.

5. UltimateGTR

UltimateGTR MDL Member

Jul 18, 2009
    Thanks!
    I tried to use the synthetic CPU feature in VirtualBox but found out it is replaced by another parameter in newer version, and successfully set the CPU to Celeron 1.70GHz, but unfortunately the reported speed does not change, it reported 'Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1.70GHz 3.41GHz'.

Do you know how to change the reported speed?
    Tried to install XP Starter Edition but still same error message with the CPU name edited to Celeron 1.70GHz.

6. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Sorry, you would have to ask that in the official VB forum.
    The run speed of the VM can be changed (Execution Cap in VM settings), however, no idea if that changes the reported CPU speed.

7. UltimateGTR

UltimateGTR MDL Member

Jul 18, 2009
    It seems the execution cap does not affect the reported speed, tried various setting but it remain unchanged.
    Have search on the net but seems the answer is unable to change the reported speed.