Unusual service in Windows 10 RS1: CDPUserSvc

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by hellodongfang, Aug 4, 2016.

1. hellodongfang

hellodongfang MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2014
    My Windows 10 Pro RS1 has an unusual service CDPUserSvc_34af7, the last part after "_" changes every time I log in.

Looks like it is a part of Connected Devices Platform, a service of Microsoft.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #2 EFA11, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  3. maestrosir

maestrosir MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Is it used to spy on us again?

4. unknwn

unknwn MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2015
    #4 unknwn, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    There are also other new "unusual" services:

Contact Data_xxxxx
    Indexes contact data for fast contact searching. If you stop or disable this service, contacts might be missing from your search results.
    MessagingService_xxxxx
    Service supporting text messaging and related functionality.
    Sync Host_xxxxx
    This service synchronizes mail, contacts, calendar and various other user data. Mail and other applications dependent on this functionality will not work properly when this service is not running.
    User Data Access_xxxxx
    Provides apps access to structured user data, including contact info, calendars, messages, and other content. If you stop or disable this service, apps that use this data might not work correctly.
    User Data Storage_xxxxx
    Handles storage of structured user data, including contact info, calendars, messages, and other content. If you stop or disable this service, apps that use this data might not work correctly.

In addition to unusual names and descriptions you can't set them to disabled because window is greyed out or it shows message "The parameter is incorrect". Any idea how to disable those?

5. W3rn3r

W3rn3r MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2015
    I have those services as well, i just set all of them to manual, think the CDPUserSvc_34af7 can't be changed.

6. wendys

wendys MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2016
    #6 wendys, Aug 4, 2016
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDPSvc
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDPUserSvc
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDPUserSvc_234a1 *<--your number here*
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MessagingService
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MessagingService_234a1
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\OneSyncSvc
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\OneSyncSvc_234a1
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PimIndexMaintenanceSvc
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PimIndexMaintenanceSvc_234a1
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UnistoreSvc
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UnistoreSvc_234a1
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UserDataSvc
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UserDataSvc_234a1
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WpnUserService
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WpnUserService_234a1
    ..change Start value in each key from 2/3 to 4 (disabled) - voila

7. gdeliana

gdeliana MDL Senior Member

Oct 2, 2010
    #7 gdeliana, Aug 4, 2016
    Yes but the number at the end of the services changes everytime the system starts. We must find the mechanism behind this devil code.

8. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    At this point, you can assume everything they do is for that.

9. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Did you try disabling CDPSvc and CDPUserSvc to see if CDPUserSvc_(random number) goes away?

10. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #10 dobbelina, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    What about right clicking the offending key/s and choose permissions,
    and there change SYSTEM from "Full Control" to "Read" only.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Good idea. I wonder if it'll work, or if the permissions will be reset with the next update. The mission to convert Windows 10 to OS X is now in full force.

12. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Yes, they want your girlfriends/wife's phone number, Your SSN, Bank info:eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    LOL.
    All services in Windows 10 are designed for spying only :D

14. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    I just have a simple question: given how much some of you are concerned about what Win10 is doing and how you keep trying to break your heads against the Microsoft wall in order to maintain control, why even bother? Why not stay with Win7 or 8.1 instead, or perhaps switch to something like Enterprise LTSB if you really want Win10 for some reason? :confused:

15. freevista

freevista MDL Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Enterprise LTSB: I would have to deal with KMS activation. I bet there are good tools do deal with KMS, but I don't like the 180 day counter. Also I don't like to do a complete reinstall.
    Other Windows versions: I would still be married to Microsoft, and support is disappearing especially for Win7.

16. freevista

freevista MDL Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I did this to others except the numbered versions. I'm following if the numbered ones stay down after the "master one" has been disabled, maybe that's enough.

17. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    It's okay because some smart person will come up with a magic script or an .exe that will solve any and all concerns with one click on "run as admin". So much more convenient than having to start thinking for yourself.

But as we can see here that only works until the next OS update, because all those newly-introduced OS components can't possibly have any other purpose than further invasion of privacy. That's what the people on the Internet say without providing any evidence, so it must be true. After all, that's all Apple Google Facebook Microsoft is about these days.

But fear not, updated magic scripts will come soon enough, and everything will be fine again. For the moment.

18. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Thanks for pointing them out, I wanted to disable them laaater. :blush2:

sc config CDPUserSvc start= disabled
    sc config OneSyncSvc start= disabled
    reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\PimIndexMaintenanceSvc" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d "4" /f
    reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\UserDataSvc" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d "4" /f
    reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\UnistoreSvc" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d "4" /f

19. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Win7 is supported till 2020, and 8.1 till 2023 (at least on Intel CPUs till Haswell). Plenty of time still to go. And if you really want to stop being tied to MS then there are lots of great free options available.

That's what I mean - people who have no trust in the OS think they're being oh so clever in somehow 'outsmarting' its developer. Makes me laugh to see the extent some people are going to, especially when I'm sure most can probably get by with Linux or even stick to older supported versions of the OS that were supposedly 'safer'.

20. freevista

freevista MDL Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Not if you want gaming on PC. Although the situation is much better these days than it was a few years ago. About 20-25% of my Steam game library is available on Linux, which is surprisingly lot. But it's still not nearly enough. And performance is generally worse on Linux thanks to the poorer driver and API support. M$ has DirectX, and DirectX is unfortunately still the god in PC gaming, and DirectX development is tied to the latest Windows versions. In 5-10 years, maybe, I certainly hope to see a viable alternative. And I don't think Mac is one. It has a similar situation with Linux, and Linux runs on PC hardware, MacOS doesn't. It seems that Apple isn't even that interested about Mac platform, it's all about iOS and mobile devices.

Well, it's a hobby. I think there are even sillier hobbies out there :rolleyes: