[DISCUSSION] CCleaner

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Tito, Mar 26, 2013.

1. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
  2. c6p0

c6p0 MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2010
    I am using h..p://download.piriform.com/te/ccsetup528_te.exe (technician edition / v5.28.6005 (14 Mar 2017))

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Use what You want, there is one CCleaner and three licence types. That's all.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @ Mr.X hehe I agree, I don't use these two applications a long long time lol, here in MDL we have good tools and all works fine :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Tools that behave live Ccleaner? Such as?
    Remember, Ccleaner can clean up registry, Chrome profiles and other browsers as well, etc.

6. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ok dude but one thing I know that tools for clean up registry are useless acording one friend of mine (MVP on MSFT) still to clean up Firefox is very simple :rolleyes: myself prefer Dism++ from MDL :p

7. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Well, this is sad news indeed. Avast is an AVG clone. They use to be a good company but slowly started to mimic how AVG does business. I would call both AVG and Avast adware since all they ever do is bring up pop-ups telling you to buy their products and services, even as a paying customer. I recall one family member who was stupid enough to purchase their whole suite of products and I think it was two or three weeks later that suddenly they were seeing popups on how they could renew early or buy a second copy at a discount. :rolleyes:

The only time security software should "nag" you for more money is before your subscription is up. Not when you're a paying customer and only a few day into your subscription.

8. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
  9. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    #116 Carlos Detweiller, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Yes, the avast! 4.x versions were great. Today, it still works fairly well if you uncheck all the bloat. I'm using only File-, Web- and Mail-Shield.

10. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Could you either quote or mention what "it" actually means, as this is a thread about ccleaner?
    Thanks

11. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  12. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    #119 hearywarlot, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    While CCleaner is definitely really handy and easy to give to any users, you could most likely everything recreate what it does into a powershell script.
    So it contains a nicely configurable list, so we know what it cleans, that gives us inspiration, we just need to know what folders and files it cleans, what files and lines to except and some fail saves in case of updates or changes.

For example %Temp% is easy, just remove all files and except a few when a program has it in use or known to be important.
    What makes it a little harder is for example Mozilla Firefox. Here you have this places.sqlite database, which contains not only history, but also bookmarks and favorite icons.
    So for this you would use sqlite3 or some sqlite module and delete whatever records is in 'moz_places' (history) and 'moz_inputhistory' (input history).

So yeh, when CCleaner goes the bad way just make your own "CCleaner".
    Thing is, it's nice if somebody else maintains the list of things to clean and CCleaner can be expanded with winapp2 lists.

Once you create your script with all things CCleaner cleans, you can rewrite that to also clean external/offline Windows installations.
    You could even rewrite it again into Bash/Shell to clean Windows from Linux.

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012