Update KB2032276 breaks Dial-Up Networking

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by warisz00r, Jul 15, 2010.

Tags:
  1. warisz00r

warisz00r MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2010
    Hello guys, I'm new to this place but since I've found someone else who is troubled by the newest update for Win7 I might as well post my grievance here.

For a little background, I just moved in to a new residence so I have to rely on my phone's broadband modem for Internet access as my ground line broadband won't get installed until next week. It all worked well until early this morning after WU automatically installed update KB2032276. I normally use Network and Sharing Center to dial up my phone modem through Bluetooth. Only this time, it came up with an error:

Following this error message, I made my way to Services to check why this service cannot be started. Looking at the dependent services, I found out that this process needs another called Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service to be run first. Unfortunately, when I tried to manually start this service another error message came up:

Now I'm utterly stuck. Due to not being able to use the Internet on my laptop I have to write this post and send it from the phone. So far, I've tried running System Restore but the problem persists. Any help here is greatly appreciated.

2. GideonX

GideonX MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2010
    Good morning,

During my testing of this update, I was able to successfully uninstall it. While on the WU page, look at the bottom left area of that dialogue box. There should be a link called, "Installed Updates". Click on it, and find KB2032276 under the "Microsoft Windows" header. Select it, and start the uninstallation process. for those that have installed SP1 Beta through Windows Update, it can be removed the same way. Please be advised that it is wise to close any running apps in the system tray before removing either of these two updates, especially your chosen antivirus solution. I hope this helps.

Gideon

3. warisz00r

warisz00r MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2010
    Negative, I have uninstalled KB2032276 but the problem persists. However, I think I found the real culprit this time: upon further inspection I found that svchost has failed to start under a certain command line (LocalService I think) since I was confronted with a similar 'service not started' error dialog while trying to open Events Viewer. Any info about this is greatly appreciated.

4. GideonX

GideonX MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2010
    warisz00r,

check your inbox

5. warisz00r

warisz00r MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2010
    Solved the problem by running netsh winsock reset in Command Prompt.