Update problems with KB2454826

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by odiea, Jan 13, 2011.

1. odiea

odiea MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Please google this update before you install it. It's causing a lot of problems. Mine were minor but others got the BSOD. May save you time doing system restore.

2. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    I have it installed but have not had any issues at all. But there does seem to be quite a few people that have had issues since the install.

3. bmnBob

bmnBob MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2010
    #3 bmnBob, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
    What code is the BSOD?

Ever since Jan.11, I've was having consistent BSODs of 0x0000006B (PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED) on every boot, including Safe Mode. In fact, when I tried enabling boot-logging, an NTBTLOG.TXT file was not even generated! (Yes, I tried deleting bootcat.cache.) If I used the Repair Options, I could use the repair-startup-problems function and/or System Restore (to a version before Jan.11), and would be able to boot successfully into Windows one time, but then get the BSODs again on subsequent boots.

After two and half days of struggling with it and trying all kinds of things, I was unable to boot anymore no matter what, so I gave in and reinstalled (unfortunately I could not even do a repair/upgrade install because I could no longer boot into Windows, so I had to do a clean install).

I'm looking around to see if it might have been one of the last few updates—when I saw that last batch of updates, I was actually curious that there were no updates for almost a month before that.

While I was still messing with it, trying to get it to work, I did take particular notice that I had the best chances of getting it to work if during the Repair Options dialog, I would open a command prompt, mount the SYSTEM registry hive, and remove all traces of my network adapters. This knowledge base article (support.microsoft.com/kb/275735) indicates that an NTBTLOG.TXT file would not get created if the system hangs before the Session Manager is initialized, which occurs after network connections are initialized. That falls in line with the symptoms I was experiencing.

What's strange though is that I've read references indicating that the STOP error code has to do with disk problems, which would also make sense because since I started having the problem, my hard-disk would take a long time to initialize during the POST (before Windows!) However, since I reinstalled, it is working as expected, so :confused:

Also, the Repair Options startup-repair tool and System Restore usually reported that they could not fix the problem and usually mentioned drivers.

Finally, I'm fairly certain that the problem was missing/corrupt system files because I restored copies of all of the system registry hives from Jan.05, and it did not fix it; therefore it must be a file issue.

4. FukenGruven

FukenGruven MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    no problems here ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Error_801

Error_801 MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    No problem's here eitheir installed it a couple days ago aint had no BSOD nor no harddisk problems
    Update for Windows 7 (KB2454826)
    Installation date: ‎12/‎01/‎2011 04:33
    Installation status: Successful

6. bmnBob

bmnBob MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2010
    I just applied almost all of the updates available on my freshly reinstalled copy of Win7. I installed everything up to, but not including anything from Jan.11. I rebooted a couple of times to confirm that things are fine. I then installed KB2454826 and rebooted. Now my network adapter (a D-Link card with a RealTek chip) no longer has the correct drivers installed and is listed as "Ethernet controller" in Device Manager and trying to update drivers does not work. Thank goodness my mobo has another NIC built-in so that I can still connect to the Internet and try to find a solution. I have not rebooted since the new problem, but I suspect that the next time I do, I'll probably be getting the BSODs again (in which case I can at least confirm what caused all the problems earlier this week).

7. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Just yesterday I installed the most recent updates & later that night my whole system froze, had to do a hard reboot & bam! BSOD :(

Hasn't happened since though.

Could be unrelated but maybe not o_O

8. FukenGruven

FukenGruven MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    #8 FukenGruven, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
    you probably installed an update for your Ethernet Controller, which overrides your Driver.
    You should examine the updates before installing.

I have the same issue, my Ethernet Adapter is Realtek PCIe, but M$ has drivers for Realtek PCI.
    All i do is uncheck the update from M$, so the drivers from my OEM is used.

i.e.
    infact, i had issues for IDT Digital Audio Driver, M$ installed the wrong driver, because the date was newer than the installed OEM driver, which caused audio problems for me. You really have to double-check M$ updates.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...