[Update and Support] Rufus USB Tool

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by user_hidden, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Akeo

Akeo MDL Senior Member

Dec 10, 2013
  2. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep very good to know bro, thanks a lot for your big job you are the dude always :D:worthy:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Quick question, I've been trying to install Ubuntu 18.04 on a laptop, used Rufus 3.1 to create the USB stick, the install fails with timezone errors, then some other error after partition options, then just completely hangs on detecting files systems and never installs (Never wipes the drive either as Windows still boots afterwards)

So anyway after battling with different workarounds and tutorials to try and get it to install I gave up and tried Ubuntu 17.10.1, this installed first time fine

The only difference during Rufus USB creation was with 17.10.1 it told me due to some syslinux version Rufus needed to download a couple of files before creating the USB stick, which I allowed, it does not ask me to download these files with 18.04, could that be the reason the install fails?

4. Akeo

Akeo MDL Senior Member

Dec 10, 2013
    No. These files are only used for the very initial part of the boot (if you actually needed them, it would completely fail to boot) and are not used or even referenced at all by the installer, because they serve a purpose that has nothing to do with the installation process. Besides, even when Rufus copies them to the USB, they are not even used for booting if you have a UEFI system, only BIOS.

Your problem has nothing to do with using Rufus.

5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Thanks, well no idea what is wrong with 18.04 then, tried different USB sticks, different USB ports, downloaded the ISO again incase of corruption, now just running an dist upgrade from inside of 17.10.1 instead

6. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
  7. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Here you go...

asus.png

8. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Thank you Mr.X If I didn't highlight the Admin Password, I would have never found the SecurBooy.

9. @Akeo
    Do you take requests? If so, I'd like a to be able to to add a bootable ISO to a HDD. I'm not talking about using a bootloader to chainload the iso image, no, but just extract the contents of the iso to hdd and make it bootable (the same way we make USB bootable now, but make it work with both internal and external HDDs). In the past, i used to use WINToBootic for this.

10. Akeo

Akeo MDL Senior Member

Dec 10, 2013
    What kind of HDD? If it's USB, you just have to enable USB HDD listing in the advanced options...

11. Internal/fixed drives might also be needed. There are some cases in which an external drive/usb appears as a fixed drive (as an example here, take SATA-to-USB converters, or USB memory sticks that use SATA-USB bridge, like the Corsair GTX series). I used to have these problems in the past.

12. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    That's why as @Akeo suggested you need to go into advanced options and tick "List USB Hard Drives".

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Yes, I know. I wasn't actually sure if this had already been dealt with. The last time i tried this (a few years) it didn't work.
    Well, thanks for the though answer.