[Update and Support] Rufus USB Tool

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by user_hidden, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Akeo

Akeo MDL Senior Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Answer: Because more people asked for it to remain active between sessions than the other way round. Remember that this is a toggle, so if you want to disable it, just press Alt-E again. You certainly do not have to edit your rufus.ini file or the registry to disable it again.
    Or if you don't know if it's enabled or disabled, just press Alt-E a couple of times to find out, whilst looking at the status bar from Rufus.

Remember that designing software is always striving to strike a balance between contradictory requests from many users, and, whereas you may think that everybody will want a temporary BIOS+UEFI mode, the reality might be that you are in the minority and that a much greater number of people will want the opposite...

2. Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Thank you for your feedback.

3. LittlePro

LittlePro MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2017
    Sir,

Sub : Feedback & Request.

(i) Rufus is not only a great app for writing distros but its a powerful Format Tool as well. Rufus has saved me 4-5 pen drives. The pen drives were not listing in the 'Computer' folder. They were listed in the inbuilt Disk Management but it was not possible to format the drive & make it reusable there. Then Rufus came to my rescue, It recognized them, formatted them & made them reusable. The greatest thing : It writes logs as well which come crucial for troubleshooting. All applause!

(ii) As we move from 2.x to 3.x versions, there is a little depreciation. In 2.x versions, one need not write anything on the pen drive but can choose Format : Quick / Full & Check for bad blocks directly. In 3.x versions, you have to write at least MS-DOS. Then the 'Format' & 'Check for bad blocks' options are opened / available. That is still not a problem.

(iii) But In 2.x versions, It shows you the percentage status when you choose Full / Slow format but its not there in 3.x versions.

So, Why to lose on that bonus ?

Thanks & Regards. ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Akeo

Akeo MDL Senior Member

Dec 10, 2013
  5. LittlePro

LittlePro MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2017
    Sir,
    Thanks for the Quick & Prompt response. Please excuse my Ignorance, now Everything is clear!

Thanks & Regards. ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Akeo

Akeo MDL Senior Member

Dec 10, 2013
    The manual you pointed to shows the option to set Secure Boot to [Other OS], which is the same as disabling Secure Boot.

Once again, I am not aware of any x86 motherboard that does not provide the option to disable Secure Boot. Considering that there are still quite a few Linux distros out there that don't support Secure Boot, I don't think there's any manufacturer out there that wants to take the risk of missing a sale because Secure Boot cannot be disabled...

7. Krinal

Krinal MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2018
    #450 Krinal, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Hey this is not specifically related with rufus. It works great but I need help with usb boot.

Hi @Aeko I want to make bootable USB of win Pe With dual support of UEFI & BIOS at the same time.
    Is it possible?

Pc around me does not support uefi boot from NTFS except your small fat32 partition method for win 10

So I can't boot UEFI from NTFS,
    And can't boot MBR from FAT32. As PC doesn't detect usb if usb is fat32 with MBR.

So is it possible to keep uefi file in small FAT32 partition and MBR in ntfs partition.
    Is it possible to make this. So I can boot EFI files in UEFI and MBR in bios without recreating new usb with MBR or UEFI again.

I am not asking to add such support in rufus but if you can help me to deal with this situation.

It is not about multiboot iso, it is to boot windows or (PE) iso from BIOS (MBR) as well as UEFI

Hope you will help in this situation.

8. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    1. Select your usb device.
    2. Select your iso file.
    3. ALT+E to enable Dual UEFI/BIOS boot.

9. Krinal

Krinal MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2018
    #452 Krinal, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Wow, rufus already have a support for it.
    By the way thanks for the new trick as I was not aware about it. I will surely try it.

10. Tovadyk

Tovadyk MDL Junior Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Last updated 2019.09.16

11. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ok all information is below ...;):)

12. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
  13. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    Not sure, but I don't use secure boot.

14. Akeo

Akeo MDL Senior Member

Dec 10, 2013
    #460 Akeo, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    That depends. If your 5 GB ISO contains a file that is larger than 4 GB, yes. But you can easily have a 5 GB ISO that contains only files that are smaller than 4 GB, in which case you can use FAT32 instead of NTFS for the file system, and don't need to disable Secure Boot. It's not the size of the ISO itself that matters. It's the maximum size of the individual size it contains. But don't worry, Rufus is smart enough to detect that for you and only enable NTFS if you do have a file > 4 GB. The log will also tell you that.

Yup. The disabling of Secure Boot is only needed so that we can load the UEFI NTFS driver (which Microsoft doesn't want to sign for Secure Boot because it's GPLv3). Once the installer reboots, that driver is no longer needed, so you can re-enable Secure Boot as soon as that happens. Windows doesn't really care when or whether Secure Boot was enabled during installation. If it sees Secure Boot active it will use that, no matter of whether it might have been disabled at any stage.