[Update and Support] Rufus USB Tool

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by user_hidden, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Great job!!!

One request, could you publish SHA256 to ensure the file integrity at your webpage, please?

2. Akeo

Akeo MDL Senior Member

Dec 10, 2013
    I get asked that on regular basis, and it seems that people fail to understand that the file is digitally signed. There is therefore no need for a checksum - it's already part of the signature.

If the file has been tampered in any way between the time I put it on the site and the time you run it, the signature verification process will alert you automatically.

3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I read about the digital signature in your webpage just a moment ago and I agree, there's no need for extra checksum yet I think people wouldn't ask for it if your statement of the digital signature was clearly visible right below or above the download link. Just saying. :)

4. belumada

belumada MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2011
    Hi

Does it work with CentOS 7 now?
    [Please add h]ttp://bugs.centos.org/print_bug_page.php?bug_id=7390
    I tried using that to make bootable CentOS iso and it has the dracut error mentioned on the page.

From the page:

5. Akeo

Akeo MDL Senior Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Listen, and I'm gonna put this as delicately as I can, but if people have chosen not to read the super short usage paragraph that comes right after the download, the second line of which is about the digital signature, I'm not gonna babysit them any further.

Besides, there's no security risk involved about people missing that information. I could actually drop any mention of a digital signature altogether, and it wouldn't matter much aside from people not remembering that checksums are only one way to ensure the integrity of a file. So, really, there is little point promoting that information even further than what the site already does. In my opinion, it's much more relevant for users to have the system requirement and supported languages next to the download link.

6. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    And that is one of the things I had been taught to never do, use spaces in anything for file naming etc. Thanks for the update Akeo

7. pengoau

pengoau MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2012
    #49 pengoau, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    Good tool, would be better if it is able to workaround a limitation of some 4GB usb flash drives that say they are 4gb but windows see only 3.7Gb free space. Thus most tools won't write the iso to it.

I've tried Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool and it fails (hangs) at 99%. I've tried Rufus which says the iso is too big and Universal USB Installer failed at the end as it ran out of space at the end of the 7zip operation. Zotac usb maker failed.

Wintobootic reports the drive as 4GB and 3,780mb for the iso. Unfortunately wintobootic failed at 99% with not enough free space :(

Now trying Novicorp Wintoflash which reports: Physical media size: 4005711360 bytes and 3.73GB for what it lists for the drive selected.

Then will try the manual method.

I'll try the manual method last as described in this post: hXXp://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/47667-Anyone-found-a-way-to-create-a-Win-8-1-bootable-USB-stick?p=798010&viewfull=1#post798010 and it seemed to work for others who probably have the same problem.

It would be good if rufus could have some sort of workaround so it does this for you :)

Zotac seem to accept everything, formatted it reports as 3.72GB, Windows explorer file properties reports the iso as 3.69 GB or 3,964,362,752 bytes) [right click > properties on file] or 3,871,448 KB by viewing the folder contents in windows explorer.

So I suspect some of the usb formatter tools are reading it how windows explorer sees the file not how it calcs the file size via the right click > properties method? As the windows explorer way says the file is too big for the drive as it reports its capacity as 3.72GB. So I guess if it saw the file size as the GB value as windows explorer reports it will work? It seems if using the KB value the file seems bigger than the "GB" value reported. So if it is going to use the KB value it should calc the capacity of the drive in KB as well so its value is greater than the source?

Anyways Novicorp Wintoflash worked.

8. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    interesting info.

9. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Hmm ... so far i never (ever) met a single usb, saying 4 GB, that had 4 GB, dreaded nomenclatura. Stupid Windows communicates GB but counts/measures in GiB :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. prijatelj.v

prijatelj.v MDL Novice

May 9, 2013
    Rufus works great but...
    whenever I install OS over the flesh,appears to me one (call problem) With Drive Letter - i.e. changes of letters...
    This is how it looks before installing OS - flash is on the (G:) :

http:
    //i.minus.com/iMEv9amhZjsgA.jpg

When the installation is finished,flash is then displayed on the drive (D:) and all the other drivers the move to a single letter (D:) be (E:)...(E:) be (F:) etc. :

http:
    //i.minus.com/ivjB0ZdWHiAEm.jpg

All drivers keep the change and when you remove the flash.Do I need to change something in the Rufus settings ?
    I leave everything to default :

http:
    //i.minus.com/izwb0euVZNu3P.jpg

Or is perhaps important to any drive Rufus "takes" ISO ?
    After installation OS,I change drivers letters in Disk Management but that's not really advisable to do :

http:
    //i.minus.com/i1MMiIBBkgNIT.jpg

Attached Files:

11. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Great and easy tool. Used it for the first time today and very satisfied.
    I am planning to remove DVD drive in the near future (free up 1 SATA port) and this (and a portable DVD drive) goes a long way in meeting that objective.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. prijatelj.v

prijatelj.v MDL Novice

May 9, 2013
    #56 prijatelj.v, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    thank you very much for quick response
    I apologize...
    Perhaps we did not understand...Rufus works great
    No error,installation OS is completed flawlessly - except that (changes drivers letters)...now that you can not see...
    Next time when I install OS will put all screenshots (for ten days).Image that I put only "example" - how it should look like...
    I say again,perhaps the problem is not Rufus...but it only happens when I install OS over flash - When the installation is going to DVD everything is OK i.e. do not change drivers letters
    we'll be in touch...
    I'll get it here or on GitHub,best regards...

13. Akeo

Akeo MDL Senior Member

Dec 10, 2013
    That's an OS issue. The OS chooses how it assigns drives during installation, and DVD drives are treated differently from Flash Drives. Unlike CDs and DVDs, Flash Drives are seen as HDDs by the OS, and therefore, the letter assignation process is different. There's nothing I can do in Rufus about this.

14. prijatelj.v

prijatelj.v MDL Novice

May 9, 2013
    behold,
    I was not lazy...but in the meantime I have twice lifted system -
    I even once used (Windows 7 USB-DVD Tool) to eliminate problem with "Rufus"...
    Of course,the result is completely identical,i.e. and with this Win tool changing the labels (letters) drivers.Now I have the original screenshots.All writes to the pictures and see the change the letters after installation - comment is not needed
    The problem is my motherboard (Asus P5Q SE).Whether any bios settings or something else,who will know it...I do not mind that much - change (back) labels in Disk Management - but I settled down
    And so new build for Win 10 comes as a "weekly press" so fresh install I work less than a month...
    It is essential that something is happening,best regards...

Attached Files:

15. pengoau

pengoau MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2012
    good to know, didnt care to rtfm and instead tried a tool that "just worked" with no user intervention. That said rufus may have "just worked" if I bothered to rtfm and would of saved me time.

Maybe the tool should ask would u lik to ignore size check and continue rather than expecting the user to rtfm and us the "cheatcode" ?

I was expecting if it was able to do it it would give me the option to set or ask me if I want to ignore and continue like most programs if it can do it these days.

16. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    thats like asking OEM's and MS to make windows and the systems automagically shut off when the person is done using the system. :Oh you got up from your chair, would you like to shut down windows?: hehe

Admittedly, I rarely read manuals myself. When I get in a jam its the first thing I do though. Most of the time I can figure it out after a few tries without it.