[Update and Support] Rufus USB Tool

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by user_hidden, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Akeo

Akeo MDL Senior Member

Dec 10, 2013
  2. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    #583 acer-5100, Aug 5, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    @Akeo

Ok. that log helped to solve the problem myself.

It was a hidden rufus.loc file left in in my Rufus folder (surely by one of the older releases) that confused the program.

So my problem is solved, but can be a good idea if Rufus would take care of deleting that file before generating a current one, or at least to generate a more meaningful error, in that scenario..

Thanks again.

3. Akeo

Akeo MDL Senior Member

Dec 10, 2013
    You seem to be under the impression that Rufus will create a rufus.loc in the current directory. That is not correct.
    Rufus does not ever create a rufus.loc (when it needs to extract a file, such as localization one, it does so in the user's local TEMP directory, and using a Windows generated unique temporary name that is never the same between sessions). It is something that is only ever manually added by translators who are testing their translation, since we need a means to test the change in real-time, so of course we want the ability to use an external localization file.
    Obviously, if we started deleting that file, it would completely defeat the purpose (and make a lot of translators angry) so that's not going to happen.

As to a more explicit error message, I have no idea how the heck you managed to end up with a rufus.loc in the same directory as Rufus, but I can guarantee that a user really has to deliberately go out of their way to end up with a garbage rufus.loc there, so there too, I see no reason to change anything. I'd be a lot more interested in knowing why on earth you seemed to have a very old version of a rufus.loc file on all the machines you tested... (?!?)

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Probably used as Portable from an external drive, and thus, the file and issue is carried onto any new test machine also.

5. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    #586 acer-5100, Aug 6, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    Ok. Thanks for the explanation.

Just nitpeeking, but what about not loafing by default any external translation, and making the use of it explicit via a switch? Something like

rufus.exe -l rufus.loc

For sure it wasn't me who placed that file there, how could I knew that rufus exe looked for a *optional* rufus.loc w/o reading the source (something I'm not used to) ?

Perhaps I made translations for a lot of big programs (like browsers or media centers), but personalty I've never been interested in translation of small utilities, just because (usually) they are straightforward to use in English.

That's actually pretty simple to explain. I have a home server that (among other things) shares my main storage across the LAN.

My downloads are relatively well organized, so I have a Rufus folder that contains the .exe(s)

I launched rufus from the same folder, no matter the OS, no matter if on a physical machine or VM (something that I do since I discovered rufus in 2012 or so and that never failed).

Obviously during my tests I though the SMB share could have been problematic, so I did tests from a local HDD, but possibly I copied the whole folder and not the exe alone...

Testing it on fresh installations did the rest, given there the hidden files aren't visible by default

You know... the Murphy's law hit even missiles and nuclear generators, why rufus should be excluded? :D

6. Akeo

Akeo MDL Senior Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Because it would make it super inconvenient for translators, for the sake of something that has happened to you and (I'm pretty positive about it) you alone.
    Again, rufus.loc files don't happen in the current Rufus directory by mistake. Someone has to very willingly create one there, and the only people who should ever create one are translators. Ergo it makes no sense to make translators life more inconvenient for the sake of preventing an occurrence that should only actually ever happen if you've been trying to translate Rufus and that any translator will instinctively know how to rectify.

Sorry but I'm not gonna start addressing "issues" that I don't expect to happen to more than a couple of people at worst. I have better things to spend time on.

7. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
  8. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Why can't Rufus simply ignore the rufus.loc file (with an error message about how to mitigate the issue) if (and only if) it is found to be faulty/corrupt? Translators with sane rufus.loc files won't notice it, that way.

9. Akeo

Akeo MDL Senior Member

Dec 10, 2013
    I have to stress again that the program does NOT create a rufus.loc, so your assertion is wrong here.
    That's why I asked you why you got a rufus.loc (and apparently an old version of a valid rufus.loc), because, as I explained above, Rufus always extracts its loc file, under a name that is not rufus.loc and that is different for each session, into the user's TEMP directory.

Considering the above, someone on your system must have willingly downloaded the rufus.loc from the GitHub repository at some stage and placed it into your Rufus application directory, because I'm afraid that the file you had could not have been generated by the application.

10. Akeo

Akeo MDL Senior Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Because, again, we're dealing with a non-issue that happened to one guy who happened to do something that nobody else will be facing, unless they purposefully download an old version of the rufus.loc from the GitHub repository.
    It makes absolutely no sense for me to address an issue that will logically only ever have affected one person.

Unless you have intimate knowledge of the application, please stop treating clear one-of issues as "Everyone will run into this" issues.

11. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

I don't want to drag it anymore, but NO, period.

No one other than me has access to my server, an I never did something that would have placed that file in my folder.

rufus has always worked for me, why in the heck I would have tried to do something with rufus sources?

I never had any need nor will to translate it, nor to modify the sources for whatever reason
    Perhaps until recently I wasn't even aware that Rufus was open source, nor that it had a git instance.

So, please, don try to depict me as a dumb newbie who does random things, creating random problems.

I spent the last 25 years fixing IT troubles for other people, either professionally or on forums, so the once in a life time, I asked for help I would like at least the same level of respect i provided.

12. Akeo

Akeo MDL Senior Member

Dec 10, 2013
    I'm only pointing out how the application behaves here. Nobody said or even implied anything about you being a newbie, or even hinted at being disrespectful. If that's what you are reading from my replies, then I apologize, but you are interpreting them wrong.

13. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Ok. Problem closed.

14. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    @ Rufus questions

How do i get rufus off my usb stick ? Its made two partitions . One i can get rid of and the other i cant ( yet :) )

15. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    Thank you :)

>Tick, 'Perform quick wipe'

I did but it didnt work ........... your still here and i can still see all your posts !?!? ;)

16. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    What? It always have worked for me!
    Well try unticked!
    It takes mmuch more time but ...

17. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    It worked . It was a joke ;) ......... It didnt format or erase you ;)

18. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    DAMN I RE-READ YOUR COMMENT AND DIDN'T SEE THE JOKE!!!!
    I'm getting dumber as the time goes by :D