Update to a running Vista SP2 possible?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by foxhunter, Jun 20, 2009.

1. foxhunter

foxhunter MDL Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Hi all,

i'm running Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 with a bunch of installed programs.

Is it possible to upgrade this with the Windows 7 RC without reinstalling all the programs?

Thanks.

2. stasio

stasio MDL Expert

May 3, 2007
    Yes,of course.Just choose Upgrade.:)

3. foxhunter

foxhunter MDL Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Thanks.

This will be a long weekend ;)

4. petrossa

petrossa MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2009
    just remember that the inverse isn't possible. Once you've upgraded you can't downgrade. Seeing as even the price it not yet known you'll find yourself in a situation to or clean reinstall Vista or fork out $$$$$$$

5. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    also note that when you upgrade,some programs may not work.every time i select upgrade(to a different version on 7)it says my tune up utilities wont work after upgrade but it does.however my dvd fab doesnt and have to uninstall and reinstall it.

6. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    if you have iTunes installed make sure you deauth your computer prior to upgrading. Other than that the process is pretty much straight forward. If you have any apps that use the .NET Framework 1.0 they will probably not run.

7. foxhunter

foxhunter MDL Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Hi all,

of course i know all about the possible issues. I've used the beta version of Windows 7, but this was a fresh installation.

iTunes? Never ;)

8. foxhunter

foxhunter MDL Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Hi all,

today i've found enough time to install the upgrade. It took on my DualCore Notebook with 4 GB RAM more than 2 hours :confused:

Anyway, now it is running (Windows 7 Ultimate x64), no problems during installation and after.

I've installed the Orion Patch to set up and activate a serial number. After several reboots the system already says:

"you have 30 days to activate online".

Any ideas?

9. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    don't use a patcher, they replace system files that don't need to be replaced. Just use one of the RC keys readily available on the internet to activate.

The upgrade can take a while because it does a hard link migration of all your profiles and files and settings. That is one of the reasons I switched to a roaming profile with folder redirect, this way everything is on my non-OS drive on my server and my OS drive on my desktop and laptop stay clean.

10. foxhunter

foxhunter MDL Member

Feb 6, 2009
    I only have one user profile. Since i'm not using a Network i have to use local profiles ;)

But usually there is no need for a daily upgrade.

I will change my product key later (actually i don't have access to my personal machine). I'm only wondering, because the patcher tells me, that everything went fine.