Update to Windows Vista Activation Exploit detection begins today

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by foxhunter, Feb 25, 2009.

1. foxhunter

foxhunter MDL Member

Feb 6, 2009
  2. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Yup, and most of us knew it was a matter of time for softmods, the only question is will they eventually compare OEM BIOS strings to motherboard models to verify OEM licensing.
    Technically if the OEM's cooperate, this is a real possibility...and considering the boom in hard mods here and in China (you can get almost any BIOS you need now) well, lets hope not.

Hopefully XP licensing, seeing as it's an EOL product, won't be worth the effort on MS part...but I would not be surprised if win7 OEM licensing will take into consideration the SLIC mods.

3. foxhunter

foxhunter MDL Member

Feb 6, 2009
    The check of the softmod against the real hardware BIOS is only a weak method.

If you have one of the computers you can use the vistaloader OEM BIOS of this machine and it works.

And the check will pass, because the softmod meets the hardware. I'm sure, they will check the entries in the bootloader/boot directories

4. freevista

freevista MDL Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Since TPM chips have become prevalent in OEM brands, they just might move the whole activation system to the TPM chip.. Bye bye modding :( If Windows 7 comes out too soon for that, lucky us.

Vista SP2 is soon out. I guess there are no changes to the activation system, or any new crack detections..?

5. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    I dunno about the TPM thing, maybe. This update is only for English Ultimate versions though, which seems to be the most widely pirated. I wonder how it works though, if it just checks the hard drive or what.

The thing about SLICs though is that if they are in the BIOS then how can they check if it is from the OEM or not. I mean companies like Asus put their boards in everything, and it is just a matter of flashing it or not.

6. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Off the top of my head seems they can compare the motherboard model number in the DMI to a known list provided by the OEM. Simply compare the OEM mfg. list of brand/model motherboards for that OEM via a WGA component update.....though im unsure of the logistics of obtaining lists of hardware from OEM as some do not even exist anymore...and why I think at least SLP 1.0 licensing won't be so throughly examined, Vista SLP 2.0 might be another matter.

Hopefully they stick with the Vista/2008 SLIC for OEM win7.....and with a RTM of September, Vista to Win7 upgrades, i think they'll stick to the current SLIC. Something they could do is an additional check....dunno bout trusted platform module though....just 2 cents worth.

7. machunter46

machunter46 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2007
    Now that KB940510 has been released, do we no what is detected?? I assume hardware BIOS mods are still ok?? WOW6 ok???

8. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    I'm sure someone out there will find a way to crack this update, just like they did with the original WGA update for XP. That or everyone will start using a server OS.

9. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    #9 armada, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
    i really highly doubt this will kill any kind of modded bios. im checking to see if we had this installed yet and ill tell you if vista loader was detected or not im going to look now.

EDIT: on 4 different systems using vista loader 3.0.0.1 this did not kill activation. it is installed on all 4 system we have and they are activated with vista loader and are working just fine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. sarabi

sarabi MDL Novice

May 23, 2008
    Has this been released yet then?

11. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    When anything actual will be released, we'll hear some "noise", apparently...

12. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    this is an update to the update.... i think or maybe they are just blogging about it now. Who knows. I am legit so not my concern.

13. throbber

throbber MDL Addicted

Mar 13, 2008
    four got all about this and did a clean install plus all the ms updates on my spare rig.
    rebooted and got the onscreen message pop up..once only so far.
    is it a simple case of uninstalling the update.
    i'v allways used the MS Windows Vista Developer Activation crack as its allways worked for me.

14. planet

planet MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2009
    my laptop is acer aspire 4730ZG, i've tried vista loader (all version), vista developer activation, paradox, etc.. but no one work on sp1 & sp2 (ultimate), although i follow the instructions. its just work on vista without sp.

but after googling a couple of hours, i found a download link for "vista ultimate x86 integrated sp2 32 & 64-bit (pre-activated)". so i downloaded it, installed it, and its work like a charm....

i am so happy, No Serial, No Activation needed..!

15. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    SP2 has not RTM'd yet, I would be careful about using RC SP builds.

16. sarabi

sarabi MDL Novice

May 23, 2008
    The Vista SP2 RC (which is most likely going to be the official release anyway) does not break the Vista Loader crack.

17. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    It is an Asus P4S533. Don't waste your time looking for a modded BIOS for it. It doesn't exist. Yen had looked at it about 2 years ago (June 07) and indicated that it did not contain an ACPI table and thus could not be modded. He has since suggested that there might be a risky mod that he could try, but because there is no way to recover from a bad BIOS flash with this board, I decided at the time to go back to XP, and then eventually used VL2 with Vista. I actually inherited this MB from a friend who decided to buy a new MB in order to use with Vista.