Update tools need help please

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by chrisgun, Aug 26, 2014.

1. chrisgun

chrisgun MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012
    Hi i am looking for a Update tool that ether can be installed on to a server that will allow us to connect to it and download updates (Like a Windows Update Server) and can download updates from the network if it does not have it on local hard drive

i am not to good with Windows Server so would be asking for something simple.

or if there is something that i can put on a USB that will install all updates. as the tools i have found seem to take the same time as just using the windows update menu.

• I have found the Serva32/64 for deploying images and this works great and is easier to use than windows so is there something like that for updates

2. TrustMe

TrustMe MDL Member

May 2, 2013
    I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but I use a program called WSUS Offline Update. I use it on a USB and it is much faster than the Windows Update menu. You can even set it to install all the updates unattended. If you YouTube the name there are videos explaining how to use it. I don't have enough posts to supply a link but if I put it like this: h**p://download.wsusoffline.net/ I think it's ok. Just replace the two **

3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    WSUS Offline Update does NOT install all updates! Its purpose is to update the system with all security-critical patches so it's safe to go online after that and use WU/MU for the rest. Security-critical in that aspect means satisfying MBSA, much like the original WSUS servers do.

4. chrisgun

chrisgun MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012
    thank you for both your replys

i have used WSUS offline update i think it a great tool but the issue is that as carlos says it dont install all the updates. i know you can make it install all the updates by adding web links to the txt file this works i have done this but the issue is after doing that is takes the same time as downloading and installing from the windows update menu, also if the WSUS offline update checks for update this happens almost every time you run it, it will remove all the links you add and you have to start again. adding the links took me round 1 hour so you see i cant really keep doing it

5. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    For adding own links to the static lists, you are supposed to use the "custom" subdirectories. Those won't be overwritten on updates.

6. Dave101

Dave101 MDL Junior Member

Feb 27, 2014
    I mean WSUS doesn't have to store the updates locally,
    u can just change the settings, once u set it up go to options, update files and languages and u can select to download directly from windows update and not to store it locally.
    And computers will only install what you approve from the windows update servers.

7. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    #7 Flipp3r, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...