UPDATE2 UK ISPs to Send First Internet Piracy Warning Letters this Month

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Mr.X, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    ISPreview.co.uk can today confirm that the first Internet piracy warning letters (aka – “subscriber alerts” or “educational emails“) will this month begin to be sent by all of the biggest broadband ISPs. The “alerts” will be issued to those users who are suspected of engaging in online copyright infringement.
    http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...st-internet-piracy-warning-letters-month.html

2. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Just one more round in the endless contest against piracy. And, as usual, it will only deter the minor offenders.

The major ones will just get a VPN, if they don't have one already, and it's business as usual. [​IMG]

3. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
  4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Nah, M$, Apple, Mierdoch and other pirates of the biggest format don't need VPNs... :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Addicted

Jan 7, 2008
    #5 CHEF-KOCH, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    On the other hand users own fault, I always say that torrent and other illegal (yes don't tell me 99% of the content is legal + with permission) can hold forever. The user want everything for free and mostly you pay a price anyway, your private data or spying. ISP's most if not all of them using deep-package inspection since years btw to analyze your traffic so it not really surprises me.

I'm sure most VPN's are also compromised because miss-configuration and other issue which makes it difficult to escape, especially for beginners which not know what to pick.

Again we need new internet protocols, asap! One which are from 2017! ... and not from 25 years ago. :rolleyes:

Because I'm pretty sure JFKi reads this I insert this emote -> :dunno: :p

6. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I always wondered why the authorities don’t instead go after those that spread malware, engage in phishing or blackmail with ransomware. We don’t hear many of those getting caught.

7. excalibur2

excalibur2 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2015
    h'mm no money in it? Who is pushing against piracy?

8. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Interest comment about VPNs. Obviously you are an expert. I now use Private Internet Access - paid for version, and it seems to work well. Has not slowed down internet access all that much. Is there a SIMPLE test to check settings etc. I DO mean simple. If so would be grateful for instructions. I have just used default settings, and change my connection quite often

9. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Addicted

Jan 7, 2008
    #9 CHEF-KOCH, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    There exist several tests like ipleak, dnsleak. I listed most of the well known pages over here.

It exist each day, each second, 24/7 each year the thing is that email provider already filter a lot of stuff and gmail will block javascript and other resources this year in general. So it only takes time other provider will follow. I think people these days care 'a little' bit more about such things but's still not enough and we need faster changes to stay in sync with the attackers and their methods.

Even windows 10 added a protection it checks signatures on a lower level (driver) + certificates to ensure well known ransomeware can't hit your pc. The thing is this getting synced each 24/48 hours, and people thing it's part of 'spying/telemetry' and then they might block it without knowing what they really do and then you in fact lower your security since it can be synced with an database. It's comparable like using an AV and block his internet connection .. almost useless then.

10. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @CK wow amazing tool dude very very good job I don't know that you is a true expert on this area congrats and thanks for share here :clap:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...