Updated: Hard limit for how many free activation you can do!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by myhken, Jul 28, 2015.

1. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    #1 myhken, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    I have tested out Wzors RTM .iso since it was released, and with that .iso file, I can upgrade a valid computer, then wipe the disk with another .iso file, then start up from the Win10 .iso file, and install a clean install of Win10, and still get activated. (like MS said it would be)

But with the .iso file I made from the .esd file in $Windows.~BT, a clean install on a previous activated computer, will not activate.

Thats strange.

Has to see how this will be with the .iso files when it comes out on MSDN, but not a good start.

Edit:

It can be some activation limit I have hit. The VM was first updated to Win10 (1. activation) then a clean install (2. activation) then moved to another server (3. activation, then a new clean install on the new VM (4. activation) all in one day. Now I can't activate with a clean install if I use the Wzor .iso either.

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    You're likely doing something different that you don't know about.
    Perhaps you didn't have proper connection to ms servers during upgrade while using the esd version.
    I've compared the hashes of the esd version's registry and they're an exact match. It's the same build.

3. cbutters

cbutters MDL Junior Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Question.... are you matching up the correct version of Pro vs. Home? If I remember correctly the WZOR has both Pro and Home combined as one in that iso, however the ESD iso you would have created yourself will be EITHER home or Pro... Is it possible your activation is tied to a Home device, and you are using a PRO iso or vice versa?

4. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
    Of course, I have only Pro versions, and 64bit versions. I have now tried a clean install with the Wzor .iso (started from boot on .iso, deleting all partition, custom install) on the same computer that did not get activated with the .esd .iso, and then it's activated again. So there is some difference a place.

5. cysm

cysm MDL Junior Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Are there any additional confirmations of this that anyone is aware of?

6. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
    It can be some activation limit I have hit. The VM was first updated to Win10 (1. activation) then a clean install (2. activation) then moved to another server (3. activation, then a new clean install on the new VM (4. activation) all in one day. Now I can't activate with a clean install if I use the Wzor .iso either.
    Will try a new VM tomorrow with a new Win8.1 installation.

7. maddog0266

maddog0266 MDL Expert

Apr 26, 2011
    Both are the same.
    Have installed both and both activated fine.

8. nechrist

nechrist MDL Guide Pack

Apr 24, 2010
    I think that for keep the activation, the vm must have the same uuid bios value.

9. cysm

cysm MDL Junior Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Updating 8.1 to 10 from Windows Update: activated
    Format then clean install from 10 .iso made from windows update install.esd: activated

10. Thvle

Thvle MDL Member

Oct 7, 2012
    the version is the same?? 10240.16384?

11. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest

Re:

"Well maybe you have activated this current Window 10 too many times on too many different computers/units? of course you will get flagged if that's the case"

Check that out maybe that is the problem

12. myhken

Feb 28, 2010
    Yes, it's seems to many activations of the free Win10 offer is not a good thing. Of course, nobody do a clean install on the same computer 4 times on a day, but I don't know how this limit last, one day, one week, one month, one year?
    And you can't phone Microsoft to activate, since you don't have any key.

13. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009
    #13 chris34, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    If it's like for W8.1, it's a couple of months. I don't remember the exact number of days, something around 128 days I think. And watch out it's not Number of activation per day but per week/month.