How To Install And Update Windows Vista SP2 64-bit Beyond Its EOL/ESU Dates

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by CaptainSpeleo, May 3, 2021.

1. CaptainSpeleo

CaptainSpeleo MDL Addicted

May 24, 2020
    skorpion68:

Thanks for the updated root certificate.
    Step #5 of the guide has been updated.

2. CaptainSpeleo

May 24, 2020
    To everyone:
    Unless there's some big surprise, I'm guessing January 2023 "patch Tuesday" will provide the last updates for Windows Server 2008 64-bit.
    Because of that, I plan to wait until after February 2023 "patch Tuesday" before I do another time-consuming full test of the guide in post #1.
    Until then, I'll keep the guide current with whatever new updates are released in December and January.

3. kkhww

kkhww MDL Member

Mar 15, 2021
    And maybe like Windows XP/Server 2003 End of life updates kb4500331, we can fetch CSA updates download links for updates after January 2023 for Windows server 2008 and create a new thread for the collection of the links.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ACMii

ACMii MDL Novice

May 19, 2021
    Does anyone have the password for dotNetFx4_ESU_Bypass_Vista.7z ?

5. CaptainSpeleo

May 24, 2020
    I haven't used the extraction password in a long time, but I believe it is:
    Integrate2020

6. ACMii

ACMii MDL Novice

May 19, 2021
    Thanks! By the way, the password is 2020 (without the "Integrate" part.)

7. CaptainSpeleo

May 24, 2020
    Yep, I just rechecked it, and that's what it is - 2020

8. g-force

g-force MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2016
    #589 g-force, Nov 30, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    I`m sorry for cross-posting... maybe wrong thread.

I`m still stuck with error in "Install_WUC.cmd": "Installing language packages failed"
    Hyper-V on Win10-Host, Guest is "Vista_x64_DE_SP2_ULTIMATE_DE" (german), all prequisites installed, "winmgmt-service" is running, Defender and UAC are deactivated, several reboots.

EDIT: I forgot to mention: I installed VISTA in Audit-Mode (SysPrep), not OOBE. No activation yet.

EDIT: Same failure as logged-on User.

9. CaptainSpeleo

May 24, 2020
    #591 CaptainSpeleo, Dec 1, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    (OP)
    nigxnef:
    Thanks for your input.
    The guide posted in this thread is the result of a lot of work by multiple members here during the past 2+ years.
    It works fine in its current form, so it will be kept posted "as is" and will be kept updated.
    If other members here want to use and test your method, that is their choice.

10. g-force

g-force MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2016
    I`m still stuck with error in "Install_WUC.cmd": "Installing language packages failed"

11. g-force

g-force MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2016
  12. CaptainSpeleo

May 24, 2020
    #594 CaptainSpeleo, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    (OP)
    I had planned to wait until after February 2023 "patch Tuesday" to do another clean install and update of Windows Vista SP2 64-bit.
    However, my family plans which were scheduled for yesterday fell through, so I had the whole day to kill, so I decided to make good use of a large part of it.
    I did a new clean install and update, and all the steps in the current guide were followed, and everything went fine.
    Nothing has been changed in the current guide, except for the test date.
    Depending on what updates are released during the next 2 months, changes will be made accordingly.
    I still plan to do another clean install and update after February 2023 "patch Tuesday".

13. Boris Livon

Boris Livon MDL Junior Member

Dec 7, 2022
    #595 Boris Livon, Dec 7, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    Hello, I am new here.

recently I tried a method from Youtube, similar to the instructions of the OP, but when I got to the part of deploying Vista_SHA2_WUC, the install seemed to hang for some time. I then quit out of the cmd-screen and retried, but the second time the program simply produced an error screen and notified me that it is only to be used in Windows Vista.

This puzzles me, because the Windows I used it in is Vista! I don’t understand why the program doesn’t recognize Vista anymore? As I don’t know how to proceed, I’m hoping someone can tell me why this happened and what I am supposed to do now.

the Windows I tried Vista_SHA2_WUC on is Windows Vista Ultimate service pack 2, 32bit (yes, I know it is normally used for 64bit, but I’ve heard people succeeding in 32bit).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. CaptainSpeleo

May 24, 2020
    Capture.JPG

Boris:

Is your Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 32-bit media a clean untouched original one, or is it a home brew hacked one?

Did you abort the command in step #23, or in step #24?

Are you doing a normal install and update, or are you doing it in VM mode?

I have only used the guide to install and update 64-bit, and have never used it for 32-bit, so there may be some issues with 32-bit that I am not aware of.

15. Chuterix

Chuterix MDL Senior Member

Apr 18, 2022
    IIRC, 32-bit/x86 works (on tested HP Pavilion dv6000 (x86) system). So I can try to give support for it.
    Especially
    Also, regarding VMs, IIRC I've tested it in x64 VM, but I gave up during the update downloading because it was too long (ethernet).
    So I don't support VMs as of now.

Note: Don't use "fully updated" ISOs, to guarantee success.

16. Chuterix

Chuterix MDL Senior Member

Apr 18, 2022
    Except I'm too lazy to see any missing updates that's on the tested DV6K system aforementioned (and since checking for updates takes forever).
    Note: If you only get driver/other updates from WU (no real security/system updates), please be sure you installed Deploy SHA-2 Vista mod.

17. Boris Livon

Boris Livon MDL Junior Member

Dec 7, 2022
    #599 Boris Livon, Dec 8, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    The Vista Ultimate sp2 32-bit is an original disc, so untouched (the disc is service pack 1 though, I installed sp2 later on).

I aborted the command in step #23. Afterwards both steps 23 and 24 notify me the program can only be used in Vista.

It is a normal install and update, not a VM.

18. CaptainSpeleo

May 24, 2020
    After you did a clean install of Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 32-bit, did you install SP2, and was it successful?

After you aborted the Install_WUC.cmd command in step #23, did you restart your computer first before running that same command again?